Blum Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the long drawn out process of building some workshop cabinets which is a first for me. Using it to build some skills (ie make lots of mistakes, learn from them and then promptly forget the lesson, make more mistakes and stomp off in a huff).

Finally approaching the finish line and need to fit some Blum hinges into the mdf. The hinges come with plastic inserts for the screws - drill an oversize hole, insert plastic dowel and then screw into the dowel/insert.

Question; when using mdf is it better to simply use the screw or to use the plastic inserts?

Thanks.

mbartlett99":2uh5fqjz said:
I'm in the long drawn out process of building some workshop cabinets which is a first for me. Using it to build some skills (ie make lots of mistakes, learn from them and then promptly forget the lesson, make more mistakes and stomp off in a huff).

Finally approaching the finish line and need to fit some Blum hinges into the mdf. The hinges come with plastic inserts for the screws - drill an oversize hole, insert plastic dowel and then screw into the dowel/insert.

Question; when using mdf is it better to simply use the screw or to use the plastic inserts?

Thanks.

Providing the hole you make for the hinge to fit in is reasonably snug, then the screws should hold fine in the MDF. However, if the inserts have been provided, why not use them?? Workshop doors tend to get quite heavy use and the extra security would be welcome surely.

Back