Blum hinge installation for the inexperienced

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sporky McGuffin

Light entertainer
Reaction score
Morning all - I'm adding a door to my router table. It'll be a bit of Duropal, backed if necessary with some ply to add thickness (the Duropal is I think 10mm).

I have two Blum thin door hinges - specifically these 'uns:

https://www.trade-hinges.co.uk/soft-close-thin-door-hinge-2569-p.asp
The vertical panel in the router table is inset a bit, so I assume I'll need to add in a hardwood thingybob to give me a mounting point that's in line with the door opening. What I'm not clear on is how I make sure I've got the hinges in the right position on that so that the door closes to the position I would like. This is probably blindingly obvious to anyone who's ever done it, so some pointers would be most welcome. Happy to post photos if that'd help.

Thanks in advance.

That technical manual link is most helpful - thank you.

I'll pop out to the workshop later and get some photos, but I think with that I can work it out. I couldn't see anything about how far from the top and bottom of the door they should go - I assume that's not too critical as long as they're not right at the top and bottom and not both in the middle?

If you mean at the hinge side, the tech drawings show you exactly where to put the hinges set back from the front, the plate has adjustment built in, as does the hinge itself so it you're a couple of mm out you have wiggle room.

Height from top and bottom doesn't really matter as long as, as you said, you aren't being silly.

If you're unsure just use a couple of bits of scrap to do a demo.

You lot are lovely - thank you. I'll give the video a go later and post back in the project thread with how I get on.

I am quite looking forward to having used up the big bit of Duropal - it really is ghastly to work with except on the CNC machine. I did make some quite nice little tool holders out of it, but it doesn't seem to like normal power tools or machines.

Latest posts

Back