Bluetooth speaker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been googling, but can't seem to find what I require - not sure it exists, therefore, I thought I would see if anyone here can help.

I want to purchase a Bluetooth speaker (that makes a reliable BT connection), mains powered, with reasonable quality (at least similar to an Echo dot), and not too expensive (less than £40). I do NOT want a battery-powered device, or a voice controlled device such as the Echo or Google equivalent. The closest to this I can find so far have the required features, but are basically 'clock radios', and I would prefer something without this additional functionality that is not required.

'bt connection' - the connection between the computer that wants to connect and the Blueooth speaker. With the Echo dot that we are using at the moment, the connection isn't that reliable (and the echo seems to try to reconnect when not requested, and start the media player etc.!)

Perhaps we are missing the obvious, Putting Bluetooth speaker mains into Google gives a number of options.

I have got a little rechargeable one which was all of a fiver and is fab.

'bt connection' - the connection between the computer that wants to connect and the Blueooth speaker. With the Echo dot that we are using at the moment, the connection isn't that reliable (and the echo seems to try to reconnect when not requested, and start the media player etc.!)

sorry, I was thinking you meant BT Connect as in the internet!!!

If you want good sound have you thought used? I have a Sony SRS BTX300 which is about 7 years old and no longer in production. It has a built in rechargeable battery so can be used attached to the mains or portably. The sound is astonishing, clear and plenty of bass. You could pick one up on ebay for about £40.

I really want to avoid a device with a battery (perhaps, illogically). If everything else is just right (including easy mains operation), I might consider this if there is not an alternative.

@Marineboy - I will look at the Sony option you suggest.

I got a couple of these a few months back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HTH3C8S
Small and cheap but pretty shocking how good the sound is really. Took a punt on it over the Sony or other models and can't complain. It's going through the wars now, dust, bashed around and doing fine. It's got an internal battery, but you can plug in a micro USB. I've only charged it up a couple of times since purchase and it gets a good few hours use over the weekends.

I ain't too fussed about quality but it's surprisingly good, I just wanted something cheap that I could use in the workshop or outside in the garden of a summer and not be too precious about.

An alternative, which I have got, was to repurpose and old stereo in the loft (kept just in case) with the addition of a mains powered Bluetooth adaptor. This is BT5.0 and has a great range. My unit is 10x15m and it works without any drops in there.
the unit I bought was https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-0-aptX-HD-True-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Music-Audio-Receiver-Burr-Brown-DAC-Long-Range-/163924035662?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I bid £52 on the “make an offer” and got it.
I know this is not what the OP wanted, but maybe be another solution to the same problem?

I've got a home made stereo that sits in my kitchen an gets used every day. Homemade Wooden Case, reused oval speakers from a tv, amplifier board and bluetooth mp3 board sent from china, some push buttons, I power it from the mains, using a 5 volt transformer salvaged from something. All in, I can't have spent more than a fiver on it, the electronics were fiddly due to scale, but essentially just soldering wires. If you look at instructables.com you'll see a large amount of designs, at various different price points.

Looks like what I really want doesn't exist (which was my tentative conclusion before asking here). I guess I'll give in on having a battery in the device - I do concede that it might be useful sometimes.

Thanks to all who responded.

I just bought a usb POWERED bluetooth to 3.5mm jack adapter (~£5) and hooked it up to an old SONY amplifier with JBL speakers in the shed. Power sorted by using standard phone charger that has a usb plug on it, connection by RCA to 3.5mm jack cable. All up cost about £8 (sans amplifier and speakers that i had for ages) and better than 99% of tat in the shops. Not portable in the least but i prefer my music sounding good over portability.

Before this setup i also looked for some sort of portable'ish solution to only find stupid overpriced one speaker ghetto blasters with loud but rubbish quality sound.

I've been googling, but can't seem to find what I require - not sure it exists, therefore, I thought I would see if anyone here can help.

I want to purchase a Bluetooth speaker (that makes a reliable BT connection), mains powered, with reasonable quality (at least similar to an Echo dot), and not too expensive (less than £40). I do NOT want a battery-powered device, or a voice controlled device such as the Echo or Google equivalent. The closest to this I can find so far have the required features, but are basically 'clock radios', and I would prefer something without this additional functionality that is not required.
Bought this August19 and it is great. £34. Dust proof so great for workshop. I usually link it to my phone for listening to radio or i-tunes. Can go really loud without distortion. Rechargeable battery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HFQYD1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should definitely have a go at making your own. A bluetooth-enabled amplifier board can be had from Fleabay for less than a tenner. You could salvage speakers from something else, or treat yourself to some fancypants new drivers from somewhere like Sound Imports for not much cash. I can say from experience that as a woodworking project, making a set of speakers or a home-cinema subwoofer is really satisfying, and not at all difficult. There are some terrific vids on YouTube that walk you though it step by step, but quite honestly if you don't want a battery or any other connectivity then it should all be very straightforward. Plus you'll be able to design it to exactly fit whatever space you have, and you'll have the satisfaction of having made it yourself.

Well, I can report that the Majority soundbar fits the bill adequately.

It has brackets for wall mounting, powered by a mains adapter, pairs with my phone on bluetooth very easily and even comes with a handy remote which allows volume adjustment, bass/treble adjustment, pause/play and track skipping.

Sound wise it's not too bad either. Definitely not audiophile quality but perfect for a workshop.

Dave

Back