Blue Tornado Router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
Regarding the 66pc set which is currently on sale at Rutlands for £149. Seems a good deal and i'll only be using them for hobby use.

Can anyone tell me if this set is Tungsen tipped or Hss.

The reason i ask is....... the dovetail set and the kitchen cabinet set both state TCT on Rutlands site, but the this 66pc set doesn't.

Any info would be great. Thanks

On a different note, they also have the worksharp 3000 with the knife attachment at £219 if anyone is interested. The sale ends on the 31st

Its only a good deal if you use all the cutters, but you will probably only end up using the straight, round over and chamfer cutters, then it doesn't look like a bargain.

Buy what you need is the cheapest option.

Pete

Another thing is they are all imperial, so it you have metric ply its a problem.

i wouldnt give them house room you will find that the shafts are so short you wont be able to do much with them as stated buy the cutters you need

Or wait till its back at £99 ...I bought a set and thought as I wear the mains ones out I will replace them with better quality bits.

My step dad had a set and has had no issues with them and uses them quite a bit .

£1.50 ish per bit make them throwaway .

Steve

rspsteve":su3xssn1 said:
Or wait till its back at £99 ...I bought a set and thought as I wear the mains ones out I will replace them with better quality bits.

My step dad had a set and has had no issues with them and uses them quite a bit .

£1.50 ish per bit make them throwaway .

Steve

I agree on these, much as i hate rutlands. use a third of them and £4.50 a bit is still reasonable. When you wear one out, replace with a better version.

So struggle with a poor quality wrong size bit until it gets to bad to use then replace it? seems like you are making a rod for your back! just buy the good one first.

Pete

Agree with Pete

If you want to invest £150 in router bits, you will get a lot more investment in buying six good bits at £25 each.

They are likely to be the only ones you use and they will last a LOT longer, give better finish results and you won't have to spend more later to replace them - if you buy decent bits there is more rationale to have them sharpened and balanced as opposed to binning them.

Besides do you really want to trust £1.50 bits. Given the markup / profit margins along the supply chain in reality these are probably sub £0.75 bits anyway.

Hi

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment - I can see the sense in buying quality bits where they will be frequently used but also appreciate that for infrequent use, (or for determining the rate of usage), a set such as this would be OK.

With regard to Pete's point indicating imperial cutters being unsuitable for metric boards - to which cutters in this set would it apply?

If I had to come off of the fence I'd go for the set, but wait for the reduction to £99.

Regards Mick

All the straight ones, the most used useful ones!

You could wait until Addi/Lidl have there £4.99 sets in.

Pete

I bought four or so years back a tornado vertical panel cutter, a set of stile and rail cutters, 20 + doors later (in oak) and they have had use in between and they still have a very good edge. So my personal opinion is that I think they are very good cutters at a good price.

i have found them to be of good quality- have you used any of them Pete?

Racers":25llcbd2 said:
All the straight ones, the most used useful ones!

Hi Pete

Are you saying the above are only not suitable for cutting housings in a single pass - or are there other applications that they are unsuitable for?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious

Regards Mick

12mm is smaller than 1/2" 6mm is smaller than 1/4" etc so sloppy fit and no easy way round it for the 6mm ply.
You could do multiple passes and adjustments to get the size right but why?

Pete

Thanks Pete

So the straight bits are not ideal for cutting housings in a single pass, (as I said), - but for all other applications they are no less suitable than metric cutters.

Point taken re. 6mm material where the 1/4", (6.35mm), cutter will be oversize - but I suppose it would allow a little clearance for loose panels, drawer bottoms etc.

As an aside, how accurately are ply boards dimensioned thickness wise?

Regards Mick

Not sure how consistent the boards are made, but axi used to sell undersized plywood bits under their perform range. I had a set of the 3 for the 18/12/6mm boards. They gave a nice snug fit. Can't seem to find anyone in the uk now who makes them. :(

I used to get a bit sniffy about Blue Tornado bits, but I recently gave one of their spiral upcut bits quite a bashing, running it for several hours cutting oak and MDF. It did a very nice job and was cutting as cleanly at the end as when it came out of the packet.

Thanks for all the replies, there's quite a lot to think about.

Perhaps i should have said why i was considering them. 2 reasons

When you look at the shape of a router bit, its not always easy to see how that profile would look on a decent piece of wood.
I thought i'd buy the cheapies and see which ones i liked and then replace them as necessary.

Second. I ordered a bearing guided straight bit from Wealdon a few months ago. £21.95
They rang me to say it wasn't in stock, but they could send me the Trend equivalent which is "much more expensive"
I greed and expected it to be the pro range, but it was from the craft range.
I rang up and was told that wealdon's are made in the same factory as trend craft, just branded differently.
I was surprised to hear such a confession.

Any views on this?
Thanks

Grahamshed":2ve6f4jj said:
So are you saying that Wealden make Trend hobby bits or that Wealden do not make their own buts ?
Sounds like how the chinese machinery is made. All made in one factory, then painted to suit each retailers colour choice.

If that were so ( and I hope it isn't ) it would make a bit of a mockery of us all recommending their cutters.

Back