Bloody Olympics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Apparently our local Bakewell show is under threat because Police may not be available as they are being called up in droves to attend to this London show. The Bakewell organisers suggested cancelling the London olympics instead. :lol:
This is being repeated all over the country with lots of local stuff under threat just for the sake of yet another big, boring and expensive London event, which nobody in the rest of the country is interested in, beyond watching it on the telly if there's nothing else on!

I wholeheartedly concur, Jacob. I don't even live in the same country as the 2012 Olympics yet am already fed up with the constant coverage. I have no intention whatever in attending any of the events and I doubt that I will watch very much of it on TV. :-x :-x

Why we have to put up with (pay for) this type of over-extravagent event in such times of austerity, I do not know. :duno:

Rant over ... I shall get my breath back in a minute!! #-o

Mike

henton49er":2w4dgroy said:
Why we have to put up with (pay for) this type of over-extravagent event in such times of austerity, I do not know. :duno:
Read 1984 and Brave New World and you'll have all the understanding you'll ever need about that. ;)

Just like the USSR ploughed mountains of wealth into military hardware, monuments and the like while people starved we have these grand schemes to instil a sense of national pride where otherwise we may (ha!) start getting genuinely angry and forcing change.

Really looking forward to the Olympics ...... what happens at the Bakewell show, is it cake making or is it just general northern stuff, like black pudding tossing, flat cap wearing demonstrations and pidgeon grooming.
Do you have televisions up North?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

doctor Bob":2tfg0l42 said:
Really looking forward to the Olympics ...... what happens at the Bakewell show, is it cake making or is it just general northern stuff, like black pudding tossing, flat cap wearing demonstrations and pidgeon grooming.
No it's mostly naked mud wrestling. Not actually on the programme but we all get pineappled, it rains a lot and the animals run amok after the Bakewell tart competition. :roll:

Southerners get a bit of a shock when they see all those fat girls with nowt on but barbour jackets and wellies, especially at 3 in the morning when just about everything is on all fours. :shock:

We're getting the same sort of problem down here in Weymouth because of the Olympic Sailing Event. Public areas closed off so the toffs can have special treatment, roads closed to locals etc.

We've just gone through 18 months of road works in the town just so the official etc can get wherever faster. Park and ride has been taken over by the Olympic committee and they are trebling the charges during the period. The whole town closed off to local traffic unless you have a special pass (for residents only). Creating lots of disabled parking spaces (but not for locals).
And out council have done nothing to support the locals, to many brown envelopes I suspect.

On the upside I don't really think they've taken account of all the cyclists that'll be on the roads.

I'll really be glad when its all over

Waka":4bzloidy said:
On the upside I don't really think they've taken account of all the cyclists that'll be on the roads.
When it comes to disgruntled cyclists, I can highly recommend the approach taken by critical mass if you want to make a point about how you've been messed about.

I've seen some angry drivers in my time, but nothing will turn one catatonic with rage like an army of cyclists in the way... and since it's just outsiders, toffs and officials you'll be holding up there's no down side either. :p

Aye thas reet Jacob lad, a remembers when sweaty betty fromt co-op bent ower tut pick up a tin o beans and let rip :shock:
The stench wuz so bad they shut t shop fut rest o t day :mrgreen:
97184.jpg

Attachments

• 97184.jpg
    97184.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 947
Went past the new olympic buildings twice this week. impressive looking things..... however....

This country is struggling to the max to keep going. Shops on my high street half almost halved, and business is terrible.
We've been in a recession, with a rumoured double recession for the next 5 years......

yet millions has been sunk into building these places for something that lasts a few weeks?

Something doesn't sit right to me

henton49er":3o4vhas5 said:
I wholeheartedly concur, Jacob. I don't even live in the same country as the 2012 Olympics yet am already fed up with the constant coverage. I have no intention whatever in attending any of the events and I doubt that I will watch very much of it on TV. :-x :-x

Rant over ... I shall get my breath back in a minute!! #-o

Mike

Well, as I see it, it keeps the likes of Seb Coe and his a** licking minions in the public eye, and its interesting to see what company's are jumping on the bandwagon of self promotion.

How is this festival of excess going to benefit anyone outside of a 10/15 mile radius of the various events? not at all!

lets be honest, the 2004 olympics in Athens didnt exactly do Greece much good long term financially did it, so how is this debacle going to help this country? just a thought.

doctor Bob":13r3ucgp said:

Ignorant !!!!

Get an atlas.

Gary":3f9d7pyt said:
doctor Bob":3f9d7pyt said:

Ignorant !!!!

Get an atlas.

Why do I need an atlas, I know exactly where Bakewell is, I don't think I said I didn't know where it is? Ignorance is not reading a post properly and not comprehending the smilies .... but hey hoo, if I've upset any sensitive Northern folk I humbly apologize ...

doctor Bob":2g7bj1xk said:
Gary":2g7bj1xk said:
doctor Bob":2g7bj1xk said:

Ignorant !!!!

Get an atlas.

Why do I need an atlas, I know exactly where Bakewell is, I don't think I said I didn't know where it is? Ignorance is not reading a post properly and not comprehending the smilies .... but hey hoo, if I've upset any sensitive Northern folk I humbly apologize ...

Then you'll know its in the midlands you cockney !!!!!!

Gary":3hzpod7j said:
doctor Bob":3hzpod7j said:
Gary":3hzpod7j said:
Ignorant !!!!

Get an atlas.

Then you'll know its in the midlands you cockney !!!!!!
Yebbut darn sarf they think anything past Watford is oop narth.

Back