Bloody Olympics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Jacob, Midlands my buttocks, Birmingham is midlands, I'll even go as far as Nottingham and Derby.
I know some of you Northerners don't like being Northerners but you ain't fooling me with your "ohh we're from the midlands" Northern is Northern and I'm afraid you'll just have to live with it.

:lol:

Jake":23fzk928 said:
The real line between North and South is the Thames.
Nah it's the Trent.
From here it feels as though the midlands is south of the Trent and Derbyshire is where the north starts. So as you progress up the A6 and cross the Trent, you see in the distance the first hills of the Pennines, which start quite steeply and continue up the whole length of Britain.
Norf innit.

Strange how less friendly people are down south Bob. London in particular is wierd, I was on the underground and the dlr and not a single person would even make eye contact, let alone speak.
Whereas up here just about anybody will have a conversation with you

Sorry Jacob, but the Real north begins at Scotch Corner :lol: Thats when you know your back on friendly territory.

BigShot":fi14tgb1 said:
henton49er":fi14tgb1 said:
Why we have to put up with (pay for) this type of over-extravagent event in such times of austerity, I do not know. :duno:
we have these grand schemes to instil a sense of national pride where otherwise we may (ha!) start getting genuinely angry and forcing change.
Quite. The Romans knew it - bread and circuses.
Note also, the far-from-austere Royal wedding.

ricasso":1ceszfp3 said:
henton49er":1ceszfp3 said:
I wholeheartedly concur, Jacob. I don't even live in the same country as the 2012 Olympics yet am already fed up with the constant coverage. I have no intention whatever in attending any of the events and I doubt that I will watch very much of it on TV. :-x :-x

Why we have to put up with (pay for) this type of over-extravagent event in such times of austerity, I do not know. :duno:

Rant over ... I shall get my breath back in a minute!! #-o

Mike

Well, as I see it, it keeps the likes of Seb Coe and his a** licking minions in the public eye, and its interesting to see what company's are jumping on the bandwagon of self promotion.

How is this festival of excess going to benefit anyone outside of a 10/15 mile radius of the various events? not at all!

lets be honest, the 2004 olympics in Athens didnt exactly do Greece much good long term financially did it, so how is this debacle going to help this country? just a thought.

A company in Coventry has the contract to make the Olympic torches.

This has meant that they were able to buy two new 2D and 3D CNC laser cutting and welding machines which, once the torch contract is fulfilled, will be used to expand their business into the general subcontract area.

Peter T":2a4zjg2q said:
ricasso":2a4zjg2q said:
henton49er":2a4zjg2q said:
I wholeheartedly concur, Jacob. I don't even live in the same country as the 2012 Olympics yet am already fed up with the constant coverage. I have no intention whatever in attending any of the events and I doubt that I will watch very much of it on TV. :-x :-x

Rant over ... I shall get my breath back in a minute!! #-o

Mike

Well, as I see it, it keeps the likes of Seb Coe and his a** licking minions in the public eye, and its interesting to see what company's are jumping on the bandwagon of self promotion.

How is this festival of excess going to benefit anyone outside of a 10/15 mile radius of the various events? not at all!

lets be honest, the 2004 olympics in Athens didnt exactly do Greece much good long term financially did it, so how is this debacle going to help this country? just a thought.

A company in Coventry has the contract to make the Olympic torches.

This has meant that they were able to buy two new 2D and 3D CNC laser cutting and welding machines which, once the torch contract is fulfilled, will be used to expand their business into the general subcontract area.

=D> :eek:ccasion5:

doctor Bob":pxr9tcwm said:
Thank you Jacob, Midlands my pineapple, Birmingham is midlands, I'll even go as far as Nottingham and Derby.
I know some of you Northerners don't like being Northerners but you ain't fooling me with your "ohh we're from the midlands" Northern is Northern and I'm afraid you'll just have to live with it.

Whilst we're at it, can somebody please explain where East Anglia and the West Country start? :)

Then you'll know its in the midlands you cockney !!!!!![/quote]

I wonder why it is that people think that because your from the home counties that makes you a "cockney"?

Im originally from near St Albans, Herts and because I still have a home county accent folk instantly assume im a londoner! I couldnt think of anything worse than being associated with that dump!

Im proud of where im from but most people couldnt even find it on a map.

I expect its the same for people from say, Bolton or Oldham being labelled Mancunian's.

Being a Londoner doesn't automatically make you a cockney either, ironically enough.

Ah, the joy of the Olympiad - bringing the peoples of the world together... :lol:

Alan Jones":em1z3r0p said:
Strange how less friendly people are down south Bob. London in particular is wierd, I was on the underground and the dlr and not a single person would even make eye contact, let alone speak.
Whereas up here just about anybody will have a conversation with you

The tube is awful but a necessity.
Northern people are more open and friendly, I'm a northerner by birth, family is all northern, sister is up north but after a long time down south in a nice area I wouldn't go back.
Again I will just say all my comments are tongue in cheek.

doctor Bob":bc61zwii said:
..... I will just say all my comments are tongue in cheek.
No really?
Actually I was slightly exaggerating about the Bakewell show. In fact usually it's all over by 1 a.m. Not like the old days. :shock:

Jacob":1bzttblz said:
Actually I was slightly exaggerating about the Bakewell show. In fact usually it's all over by 1 a.m. Not like the old days. :shock:

Early 1900's Jacob when you were nout but tut lad

I dont think its fair to say that southerners are less friendly than northerners, Ive met and worked with many northerners over the years and while a lot of them were quite open and friendly there have been many who were as miserable as sin! just as there are many friendly southerners this is tempered by the grumpy one's, its not a case of where your from, its human nature!

And as for this nonsense about "soft southerners", I remember working with two northeners when I was a Tree Surgeon, and every time there was a drop of rain they ran for the van! leaving this "soft southerner" to finish the job...

Well being a southerner I think the Norfolk Broads are much prettier than the Bakewell Tarts!

Roy.

Sawyer":2tm0iqlr said:
doctor Bob":2tm0iqlr said:
Thank you Jacob, Midlands my pineapple, Birmingham is midlands, I'll even go as far as Nottingham and Derby.

Whilst we're at it, can somebody please explain where East Anglia and the West Country start? :)

That's easy. For West Country you have to get west of a line connecting Bristol/Bournemouth. Bristol is just South Midlands!

RogerM":1k3dnihu said:
Sawyer":1k3dnihu said:
doctor Bob":1k3dnihu said:

That's easy. For West Country you have to get west of a line connecting Bristol/Bournemouth. Bristol is just South Midlands!
Except a west country (ish) accent extends up the west midlands as far as Shrewsbury.

Back