Block Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a kit by Faithful, comprising No.4 and 60 1/2 Block plane set in nice wooden case. It arrived last night. Both of them seem good. Will be testing them out soon.

The Faithful plane set is working good out of the box. Quite pleased. Not sure how long the blades will hold their edges, but will see.
View attachment 126209

Attachments

• IMG-7003.JPG
    IMG-7003.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 31
I have the Quangsheng low-angle others have mentioned. I don't think it's very high-quality. The various adjustments are very stiff.

I have the Quangsheng low-angle others have mentioned. I don't think it's very high-quality. The various adjustments are very stiff.

Faithful 60 1/2 control is very smooth and accurate. Before I was contemplating getting a Luben, but it looked the same as Faithful, but 4x times more expensive. I wasn't sure if there would be 4x times difference in quality. Went for the Faithful, and I am sure made right decision.

I have a Veritas skewed block plane. I had a client purchase it for me as part of a commission some time ago. It’s pricey, but another dimension to planing, especially on some tricky grained hardwoods. Not used the rebate function on it yet.

Tried the Faithful No4 and black plane on Oak board. It was hard going.
Maybe the blades need reprofiled and sharpened? They just kept digging into the oak in the middle of cutting.

Changed to my 100 year old Stanley 4 1/2, and it was better.

I restored an old 60 1/2 a while back and to be perfectly honest, I thought i would use it very infrequently and did it more for the enjoyment of a restoration project. In reality, it has become one of my most used tools. I'm all for a restoration of an old one if you can. Its not too difficult.

Kind Regards... Rob

They all seem cut soft woods with ease and well, but when it comes to hard wood, some are able to cut better than other planes.

I have another block plane which looks exactly same as the 60 1/2, but has wider base, and is heavier. Not sure what make or model it is - as nothing written on it. It also cuts well.

If it's an old one it might be a #65-1/2 - same style only wider. If it had a knuckle lever cap it might be a #65
See here

Yes, it must be #65 1/2 Block plane. Thank you for your info.
When buying from eBay, I had no clue. I just bid once, and forgot about it, and eBay said that I won it.
Having forgotten my bid for the block plane, and also no hope of winning for it (bid such low price), I went and already bought the 60 1/2, and thought this will be an identical plane, and I will end up with 2x identical planes, was not too keen paying for it.
But I honoured the deal, and paid for it. When it arrived, it is different size, so I feel I am glad that I won, and paid for it.
They look a good set together the 60 1/2, which looks thin and long, and 65 1/2, which looks wider, so larger, and certainly about twice the weight of the smaller 60 1/2.

It doesn't look that old, exactly same colour and shape as the 60 1/2 but with absolutely no writing on it, guessing it is a made in China clone.

Last edited:
I have an old Stanley 60 1/2 and a modern Quangsheng equivalent. I love them both and use them often - one-handed use is natural and convenient, low angle is great esp. for end grain. Excellent for easing arrises etc.

If the blade is difficult to adjust, I'd loosen the retaining screw a tad - a bit of paraffin wax in the right place can help too.

I can adjust the QS one to give somewhat finer results - I think the key is the quality of the T10 steel vs 1970's era engineer-out-all-costs-to-maximise-profits Stanley blade quality. A new blade e.g. Ray Iles (or Hock, but not A2) on an old 60 1/2 may be the sweetspot of cost vs excellence in use.

You are not kidding, £174 and only comes in 0 volts, Veritas Low Angle Block Plane with PMV-11 25 Degree Blade

You are getting dinged for a lot of tax, duties, maybe markup, etc. Same plane here is £108

If you want to get dizzy on my birthday my wife bought me a NX60 when they were released seven or more years ago. It was about half price then. The ductile iron version the DX60 is a lot lower but still a lot of money. A superb tool though. Exchange right now is 0.58 pounds to 1 Canadian dollar in case you were wondering.

Pete

Back