Block Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a second hand Stanley, not sure of the number but not the cheapy tin one, or a Luban from Axminster.

Edit:

Stanley 12-060, that's the one. Blimey theres a million types!

Last edited:
Any older clean stanley or record block plane (doesn't matter if it's low angle bed or standard angle - you can ignore any advice suggesting that makes a difference - the standard angle may be better in general).

If you buy one and feel that the blade isn't good enough, revisit this thread and I'll let you know how to set up a stock iron so that it will plane anything (from pine to cocobolo).

Any older clean stanley or record block plane (doesn't matter if it's low angle bed or standard angle - you can ignore any advice suggesting that makes a difference - the standard angle may be better in general).

If you buy one and feel that the blade isn't good enough, revisit this thread and I'll let you know how to set up a stock iron so that it will plane anything (from pine to cocobolo).
I'll get the popcorn 🍿🍿🍿🍿

It's easy, it takes about one minute and doesn't cost anything. I'm sure there will be objections to it!!

D-W...go on give it a try....nothing like a heated discussion.....hahaha....
or start the NewYear with a bang....
always worth a good read......
not that I use hand planes much anymore......

I could also give instruction on rehardening and tempering the irons so they're harder, which would be more sparkly but is a whole lot less practical for the average person.

Stanley 220 for me. Have used it regularly for many years. The older model with the wooden handle, avoid later ones with metal button, they are heavier and cruder.
Nice one here Stanley 220 Block Plane In Original Box | eBay a bit pricy but another one will be along any time, there's lots of them about.

Axi rider block plane was on offer recently. Can't vouch for quality as I haven't used one.

I have a Quangsheng one bought from a member here, love it.

For me, vintage low angle Stanley 60-1/2, and not because I favor The low angle, it’s just because that style is more comfortable in my hand. Stock blade is fine and remember sharp always trumps the super-duper cryo’d NASA endorsed space metal that needs honed.

Stanley 12-060, that's the one. Blimey theres a million types!
The problem I see with those is that the modern ones have a steel front skate (the moveable bit of the sole) which is not always flat and wears remarkably quickly as well as not always being flush with the rest of the sole. We've had a couple of apprentices who bought them and that soft steel front skate, combined with poorly hardened irons made them a poor choice for a beginner. The older #60-1/2 that the modern tool is derived from is better, although one lad went and got himself a Faithfull #6012 (basically a slightly crude #60-1/2 copy) and put a Ray Iles iron in it - after linishing the bottom it was a good 'un. The #60-1/2 model is a nice small size if you don't have great big hands and the adjustable mouth has its'uses. Personally I use a Veritas low angle block plane which is superb, but pricey. It replaced a knuckle cap Wood River block plane (basically a #65 if you know aboiut Stanleys) which is just another type of Luban underneth the extra chrome. Cue @Jacob...

I have the faithful one and it's not bad tbh.

Well up to the wood butchering I want to do!!

Cheers James

Stanley 220 for me. Have used it regularly for many years. The older model with the wooden handle, avoid later ones with metal button, they are heavier and cruder.
Nice one here Stanley 220 Block Plane In Original Box | eBay a bit pricy but another one will be along any time, there's lots of them about.
+1 for the 220 - they seem to be going for just over £20 plus postage on eBay at the moment and relatively clean-looking at that price. I missed out on a couple and ended up with a nice rusty one for a bit cheaper but a chance for a bit of fun bringing it back to life!

The problem I see with those is that the modern ones have a steel front skate (the moveable bit of the sole) which is not always flat and wears remarkably quickly as well as not always being flush with the rest of the sole. We've had a couple of apprentices who bought them and that soft steel front skate, combined with poorly hardened irons made them a poor choice for a beginner. The older #60-1/2 that the modern tool is derived from is better, although one lad went and got himself a Faithfull #6012 (basically a slightly crude #60-1/2 copy) and put a Ray Iles iron in it - after linishing the bottom it was a good 'un. The #60-1/2 model is a nice small size if you don't have great big hands and the adjustable mouth has its'uses. Personally I use a Veritas low angle block plane which is superb, but pricey. It replaced a knuckle cap Wood River block plane (basically a #65 if you know aboiut Stanleys) which is just another type of Luban underneth the extra chrome. Cue @Jacob...
I don't know much about the quality of modern Stanleys and it's sad that things have got so cheap to keep up with the imported Chinese planes. It truly is a race to the bottom for them.

That's why I suggested ebay, as the 30 year old Stanley blockplane I have works a treat and the quality is OK.

I bought a Faithful 60-1/2, it was pretty flat out of the box but I flatted it off a bit just in case then it was pretty good. I used it on some oak and found it struggling so I checked the blade and found chunks missing out of the cutting edge. Had a look on tinterweb and found that this is common on these cheap planes. I've not bothered sharpening it up, I'll get a real iron from Ray Iles. Rest of the plane ok

I have the Quangsheng Luban rebate block plane and I use that much often than the standard quangsheng or the Stanley that I also have. It’s easy to set up, comfortable to use and very useful for trimming shoulders and rebates, on top of normal block plane duties.

An Old stanley 60 1/2 with a japanese blade is the dogs B********S I got one 40 years ago and still use it, got a spare as well. Bought a lie nielsen but it was a bit big in the hand and the indentations at the side are way too small to get a good grip. It's a shame it's so hard to find the samurai brand plane blades these days they really work and keep their edge. With the 60 1/2 most of the new jap blades are made for the newer version with the longer slot "progress??" I think it's called. PIA to adapt the new blade to the old plane. Happy new year all.
Cheers
Andrew

Back