block planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So I figure I might benefit from a block plane instead of sanding for cleaning up tenons, dovetail overhangs, tweaking drawer runners to fit, etc. Question is normal or low angle? what's the difference, and under what circumstances would you use each?

Hi MP

I use a 'normal' angle block plane all the time (most used tool) for finishing most things except end grain.
For end grain including tidying up dovetails etc I use the low angle. My low angle is a rabbet plane and so the blade is flush with the outside edges of the plane body which makes it useful for cleaning tenon faces too.

I would suggest the LN rabbet if you want to clean tenon faces as standard block planes will only clean to 3mm or so from the shoulder

MP,

The rule of thumb is low angle for end grain and standard angle for long grain. A decent, sharp standard angle will cope with end grain though, as will a low angle manage long grain, but for best results follow the rule of thumb. (However, 'cos the iron is "bevel up", you can, in effect, create a standard angle plane by just grinding a steeper angle on the iron of a low angle plane. So the low angle is slightly more adaptable. But perhaps that's getting too technical? :roll: ) Whichever you go for, get the best you can 'cos you'll use it lots. At some point in the near future the Veritas ones will be available over here, and they should be cheaper than the L-Ns; very well thought of by all who've used one. Of the L-Ns an adjustable mouth is generally recommended as the most useful, but I like the little bronze ones better. The rebate and the skew ones I don't know enough about to comment. For Stanley or Record you need to go for old ones, and they don't tend to be that cheap or plentiful :( Don't touch the new ones with a 10 foot pole. :!: If you go for L-N give Tilgear a ring and check their prices against Axminster; unfortunately you've just missed the latter's offer prices on the blocks... :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Given the mass of past posts on planes generally that I've been trawling through the history of and learning from, I'd kind of figured that L-N was the way to go:), but it was then which of the staggering and, frankly, confusing range would do best service for someone who's normal first reaction it to reach for something with a cord...

Brimarc are expecting both standard and low-angle block planes in stock the last week in march, each priced at GBP75.11 = VAT

decisions, decisions...

But is it cheaper to import them direct from Lee Valley Tools?

Adam

MP, really? £88 odd huh? Well if you decide to go for an "ordinary" block then they'd be the ones to go for I reckon. Very well reviewed. Thanks for passing on the info :D

Cheers, Alf

I don't need another block plane, I don't need another block plane... :roll:

the whole import cheaper question is a slippery slope for me. I'm due to visit the US in may and will be spending time with friends out there who have permanent mailing addresses, so i've already been thinking of taking liberties with placing orders for delivery to them and then bringing it all back with me....wonder how much cast iron and bronze I can carry....and can i contain my new toy urges for 2 months...

I didn't pay any duty (no idea why!) on my last order from Lee Valley - so basically got the US price - and it arrived here quicker than most Axminster/Rutlands orders!

Adam

Adam,

I have wondered about that, and I came to the conclusion that the value of your order was sufficiently low for it not to be worthwhile chasing up the tax. It might even have been below the starting value. That's my theory anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Nope, it was above the value they should have claimed, I wonder if it's 'cos they put the shipping tax value on the underneath of the parcel?

A

Asleitch...did it come via Customs or a Customs handler like Parcel Force? Customs don't seem to always charge you, but Parcel Force always charge!! They then also put a handling charge ontop of your tax of about £13.50!! It only usually costs me $12 to send it 4000miles and then these 'Barstewards' have the cheek to slap 13 quid on it to send it 400 miles!!
But it also depends on what postage the people at the other end choose to send it by....from the States its usually Express Post, which is usually 2-3 days, but you can send it via a slower standard post which can take about 2-3weeks and 9-10times you don't get charged tax in this country.

Been doing a lot of importing of late from all over the world and I still can't figure the tax thing out.....sometimes you get charged sometimes you don't......you just have to work out if the item your after is worth the money your going to pay for it.

SimonA

so, bit the bullet and went for the L-N, figuring that if I saved a few quid on the Veritas i'd always wonder if i'd made the right choice...

Bought it mail order from a very helpful chap at Tilgear, tenner cheaper that APT as Tilgear have dropped their prices slightly given the current exchange rate, and it turned up less than 24 hours after ordering over the phone.

I don't have much experience with hand tools - mostly the stuff they had at the night school course I did a couple of years ago which was old but fairly well looked after considering - but this thing is amazing. Beautifully engineered simplicity and cuts better than anything else I've ever laid my hands on, straight out of the box. I always thought that these claims of long, translucent-thin curly shavings were a myth....

MP":3hq5nh32 said:
Beautifully engineered simplicity and cuts better than anything else I've ever laid my hands on, straight out of the box. I always thought that these claims of long, translucent-thin curly shavings were a myth....
Dumm, dumm, dumm - another one bites the dust. :lol:

So which one did you get then? Low or standard angle?

Cheers, Alf

low angle - the initial job i have for it is cleaning up some tabletop ends across the grain after sawing square, and tweaking the bottom of a drawer that is slightly twisted to get it running smoothly.

I only got 10 minutes to play with it on a piece of scrap last night, so roll on the weekend when I can use it properly...should see the first fully completed piece of the bedroom set :)

Just thought I'd mention I've bitten the bullet too and have an order shipping today from Lie-Nielsen. :oops:
Oh no!!! The slippery slope.... it's calling me!!!

A :D

Latest posts

Back