Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
My 16 year old record BP is near the end of it's days, so i'm on the hunt for a new one.

As i've used the same model, i'm not too clued up on whats about and what i should be going for. I don't want to spend loads as i can't see the point at the moment.

Mostly going to be used for end grain work, cleaning lippings and laminate work.

Any advise or models i should be looking at

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Lots of info on the forum. Here's a very recent one.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6239

But there are more. Probably new enough threads to just read the titles on a couple pages.

Ask Matt in the thread above how he is getting along with his new BP aquisition. That should give you and idea of how little you can spend and what you'll receive in return.

Mike

the little two metal bits (dunno name) that fit into the notches on the blade have worn away to nearly nothing. So adjusting the depth is a right pain lately.

I'm not dismissing the BP as it's served me well on alot of work and was, and still is the original block plane when i started my apprenticeship.

Mike, thanks for the heads up. didn't search the archives first and i really do like the sound of the Apron Planes so may re-condition mine and get this for an Xmas present :D

Andy

LyNx":2mvtc9ze said:
the little two metal bits (dunno name) that fit into the notches on the blade have worn away to nearly nothing. So adjusting the depth is a right pain lately.
Bum. :( At the risk of derisive hoots of laughter, I wonder if it's worth asking Irwin's customer service if spares are available? Seems a shame to retire a plane you're happy with.

Cheers, Alf

Apart from the reviews, is anyone using the Apron BP. seems to be within a budget i'd like to spend and sound a nice light plane.

Andy

Back