Block Plane Selection and Rehabilitation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smalser

Established Member
Reaction score
I gave my heirloom Stanley #60 ½ away to the oldest boy awhile back thinking my larger Stanley #65 alone would suffice, and miss not having a small plane for the apron pocket.

263439100.jpg

So for 60 bucks at auction I bought some antique tool dealer’s collection of rejects… lesser planes, a minor chip here and there, stubby irons or missing parts. At the top are a crude Stanley #110 on the left and Sargent’s idea of a low-angle block on the right…an adjustable mouth, but too large for my hand and too little support for the iron. At the bottom from left to right are two, more desirable Stanley #60 1/2 low-angle blocks, a Stanley #65 also with a low-angle, 12-degree bed, and a standard-angle Stanley # 9 ½ with a 20-degree bed, all with adjustable mouths. I’ll rehab them all and sell or give away what I don’t need. I order the parts required from Stanley…eccentric levers ($2.00), a replacement iron ($6.00) and miscellaneous screws from their catalog:

http://www.stanleytools.com/?TYPE=STATI ... ervice.htm

263438246.jpg

I dismantle them and toss them into a phosphoric acid solution overnight. The acid attacks the rust without touching iron or steel, and leaves behind a protective coating of iron phosphate in pits and recesses, inhibiting further rust. I much prefer this rust removal method to any other for tools used in damp boat sheds.

263581253.jpg

A day later all rust has been converted to sticky crud that has to be cleaned off.

263580663.jpg

I begin with a coarse wire wheel, followed by a bath in hot soapy water with a small wire brush to clean the recesses, a good rinse, and drying over mild heat:

263580661.jpg

I take these back to the buffer grinder to clean off the after-rust developing on the flat surfaces where I scrubbed off all the iron phosphate using a fine wire wheel….

263580656.jpg

…with special cleaning attention with a Dremel Tool given to the critical bed and mouth areas.

263581264.jpg

I buff the exterior surfaces to a shine using green rouge.

Continued…..

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. I've read your stuff on one of the American forums and it's always been interesting, so it's good to have you posting here :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Looks like you have some good users there, any chance of an after picture of them?

263581262.jpg

And degrease with mineral spirits followed by strong trichloroethylene, a suspected carcinogen, so here I wear gloves, which are also necessary to keep my oily fingerprints out of the blued finish.

263581260.jpg

I then cold blue the parts using phosphate blue (Brownells.com). This solution hides rust staining, inhibits further rust, but most importantly is an index dye for the critical stages of flattening irons and soles.

263581563.jpg

Before sharpening I check my stones for flat using 60-grit wet-or-dry paper on a precision-ground, cast-iron surface like this jointer table. A couple strokes done dry allows sighting down the stone to find any hollows still shining amid the stone dust made by the abrasive paper. If I have to flatten the stone I use kerosene as a lube and rub the stone till until I have a perfectly flat surface. I’ll never get a good edge without perfectly-flat iron backs, and I’ll never achieve flat backs without flat stones.

263581558.jpg

As you can see by the indexing blue remaining after initial honing of the backs, all of these irons will require more work on the coarse stone to make the blue near the cutting edge disappear. If the iron back isn’t dead flat at the cutting edge, the high spots (relative to the sole) with blue remaining won’t get as sharp and won’t attack the wood uniformly with the remainder of the edge…the plane drags in use, and the cuts aren’t smooth.

263583119.jpg

Common after flattening these old irons is to wind up with high spots at the corners of the cutting edge that simply won’t go away.

263583117.jpg

I could simply grind the iron back a few millimeters, but this iron doesn’t have much life left so I simply hone a slight back bevel or 2 degrees or less into iron’s back until the blue at the corners disappears.

263582492.jpg

This blued iron is adequately flat far enough back to accommodate a number of quick resharpenings without having to mount another major attack on the back.

263580659.jpg

Once more to the jointer table with 60-grit lubed with WD-40, I attack the plane soles. First I mount the iron and set the adjustable mouth to the position in which it will be used the most often, and then remove the iron to flatten the entire sole assembly. You can see how badly this Sargent’s sole is out of flat by the index dye remaining. This one is pretty bad, and will take two sheets of 60-grit followed by a sheet of 100-grit to make true. I flip plane ends around every few strokes to make sure I’m flattening the sole as evenly as possible.

Continued….

263582393.jpg

Few are as bad as that Sargent, but when they are that bad, keep in mind that soles don’t have to be absolutely perfect like iron backs do. Just the toe, both sides of the mouth and heel need to be in the same plane to do fine work. In fact, Japanese planes are purposely set up with hollows in between my inked ovals to reduce friction. Much of the chattering woodworkers complain about in Stanleys isn’t because the iron is dull or too thin, but because the critical area behind the mouth is in a hollow and is unsupported by the work piece....just like an entire third of the Sargent's mouth is in a hollow. The front of the mouth holds down the wood fibers while the back of the mouth stabilizes the cutting edge. Indexing dye makes a huge difference in how well you flatten, and flat is what makes the plane work well….or fail to. If you aren’t using it, you may not be flattening as well as you think you are.

263581574.jpg

I’ll do some trial work using three fettled planes. From the left, a stock #60 ½ I just finished above, my old standby #65, and a near-new Lie Nielsen #60 ½ low-angle rabbeting block plane. I checked out and finish-honed the L/N using the above techniques, which took only 10 minutes as these are as close to perfect as you can get.

263581580.jpg

My 15-dollar #60 ½ has its stock carbon iron ($6.00), my #65 a thicker Hock carbon replacement iron ($35.00), and the L/N a thicker-still iron of A2 steel ($150.00 complete). The L/N is one heavy block plane….two or three ounces heavier than my large #65. It is more suitable for a leather holster than an apron pocket.

263582394.jpg

I set the mouths up for combination work removing both end grain and long grain hardwood. One of the limitations of this model L/N is that the mouth is a bit tight for heavy cuts in boatbuilding softwoods, placing it at a disadvantage…so I’ll compare the planes using White Oak instead.

263581568.jpg

The stock, 70-year-old #60 ½ had no trouble at all making end grain cuts in White Oak.

263582057.jpg

Neither did the pre-war #65 with Hock iron.

263582382.jpg

Nor did the L/N. I even tried my stock, standard-angle #18 on the far right on the oak end grain and it pared it adequately too….just not as effortlessly as the low-angle models.

263582064.jpg

Will the stock #60 ½ take full-width shavings of tough oak edge grain? You bet. Easily and all morning long.

Continued….

263582060.jpg

So will the #65…

263582392.jpg

…and the L/N…

263582386.jpg

…but here’s where the stock #18 shines. As cheap as the old, standard-angle block planes go for, don’t be without a #18 or #9 ½ to match your low-angle #65 or #60 ½. In the middle of a project you’ll sharpen half as often.

How long will the different makes of iron stay sharp? L/N's A2 steel with chromium and molybdenum added is tougher and will hold its edge longer. The only down side to A2 is that it doesn’t take quite the edge that good carbon does. Not by much though, and after a couple hours of work dulling both, I can barely tell the difference. But when freshly honed I can feel a difference, and if I were to go to A2 irons I’d try diamond paste on an indexing plate instead of stones. In the inevitable compromise between how sharp, how easy to sharpen and how long it remains sharp, my ideal remains Hock carbon…but as you can see, I stumble along just fine with stock Stanley.

263582053.jpg

And as a rabbet plane, this L/N hasn’t enough depth for anything deeper than a quarter inch, although it would work well as a shoulder plane for crossgrain work on small tenons. If you need a rabbet plane, buy a rabbet plane. An inexpensive, old Stanley #78, Record #078 or Miller Falls #80 can be made to work as well as the #60 ½ here. Let my friend Jake Darvall in Australia teach you how to fettle them:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au ... ht=stanley

263582065.jpg

These techniques work equally well on newly manufactured Stanley block planes, which also can be made to work well. Pre-war Stanleys are generally less expensive and better made, however. When selecting tools for boatbuilding, keep in mind that teaching yourself to clean, flatten and sharpen can free up the money you need for all those other tools you need but don’t yet have.

Additional detail on sharpening, bluing and fettling is found here:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=48786

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl

Bob, thanks for the time you have put in to an excellent post/article, very informative. However, I have one question if you don't mind. I was taught that you should always flatten a sole while fully assembled and with tthe blade installed/tensioned - because if you flatten the sole independently, when you then re-tension with the application of the blade etc.. the pressure can alter the flatness somewhat, I assume by your results you have not found that to be an issue?

ByronBlack":2ifhizil said:
Bob, thanks for the time you have put in to an excellent post/article, very informative. However, I have one question if you don't mind. I was taught that you should always flatten a sole while fully assembled and with the blade installed/tensioned - because if you flatten the sole independently, when you then re-tension with the application of the blade etc.. the pressure can alter the flatness somewhat, I assume by your results you have not found that to be an issue?

I agree. Why risk throwing the sole out with lever cap tension?

But block planes are so short, the soles so relatively thick, and the tension on the lever cap so small relative to, say, a jack plane, I don't think it makes any difference at all.

Bob,

Just to say thanks very much for such a detailed and informative article. You prove yet again that with a bit of patience and a bit of elbow grease it is quite possible to get excellent results from tools that can be found for a fraction of the cost of the (very desirable) tools offered by the like of LN, LV et al.

Cheers,

Steve

Bob - welcome to the forum....an excellent and detailed review, 'specially liked your rust removal process - Rob

Hi Bob - excellant teach-in. No rusty planes will be left laying around here now!

A thing I like about the States is that everything comes in large quantities - the only stuff I know about with acid in it is "Jenolite" (if it's still available?).
It used to come in a tiny plastic bottle. Phosphoric acid is probably banned over here in case bombs can be made from it?? :wink:

Rod

Harbo":1pst33ru said:
Hi Bob - excellant teach-in. No rusty planes will be left laying around here now!

A thing I like about the States is that everything comes in large quantities - the only stuff I know about with acid in it is "Jenolite" (if it's still available?).
It used to come in a tiny plastic bottle. Phosphoric acid is probably banned over here in case bombs can be made from it?? :wink:

Rod

Yeah, I know. It's the huge quantities available that make the #60 1/2 and #18 such good deals here.

Call a local metal or auto body shop. I'm certain they use phosphoric acid somewhere, but as we speak different technical languages, they may call it something else. It's a light green liquid I doubt would make as good a bomb as cheaper and more readily available lawn fertilizer.

Jenolite still available but £5.99 for 500ml.

Cheapest form of Phosphoric acid is "Milkstone Remover" £20/gallon from Agricultural Suppliers - dilute 1 to 4, so that makes an awful lot of remover.
(Source - Triumph owners forum - plenty of rust there?) :wink:

Rod

welcome bob

its great to see more folks from this side of the pond on the forum.

its a bit of an ironic day to join a uk forum :eek:ccasion4: ( oh sorry that might be too political...but i just had to point it out :twisted: )

back to point...im a big fan of your writing so it really is great to have you stopping by.

sparky

ps. that is a nice walk-through on the block planes but i can't wait to see the end result.

Back