Block Plane Indulgence ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've decided to spend some unexpected income on my first block plane and I'd appreciate guideance from those with far more experience than I :?:

I am debating which of the following is the best for a first buy - I understand each have their own advantages and if needs be would consider buying the other at a later date:

Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2

Lie-Nielsen 9 1/2

I would be using it for general edge profiling and end grain tidy up in hard wood.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Regards Mick

The 60 1/2 is a Low Angle Block Plane which has a bed 12 degrees to the surface of the sole. With a regular 25 degree bevel this gives a total cutting angle of 37 degrees which is excellent for end grain.

The 9 1/2 is a Standard Angle Block Plane which has a bed 20 degrees to the surface of the sole. With a regular 25 degree bevel this gives a total cutting angle of 45 degrees which is the same as on standard bench planes and is better at working along the grain.

My choice would be the 60 1/2 with a extra iron sharpened at 33/38 degrees for a cutting angle of 45/50 degrees, that way you get the best of both worlds until you want to buy a separate block plane to flesh out the collection :D

I myself have a Quangsheng block plane. :D

I only suggested the 60 1/2 because I'd favour that of the two.

Low angle QS block plane for me soon. I am off on a Ukulele building course soon, and it is the ideal size and weight for many of the fiddly jobs. I am building 2 Cigar Box Guitars at the moment and my Record 9 1/2 does not do its job.

As suggested above, go for the low angle with at least two irons (whether it be Lie-Nielsen 8), or Quangsheng :( ). One iron can be kept honed at the lowest practical angle for end grain (so don't get A2 steel for this one) and the other at a higher angle for regular work.

Just a thought on regular angle block planes with a bed of 20° : with the iron ground at 25°, a secondary bevel at 30° and a 2° micro-bevel, the damn thing has an effective pitch of 52° :!:

Cheers, Vann.

I had a go with a LN low angle block plane at Axminster. Ok. I am really pleased with my QS, a really terrific plane with 3 sharp heavy blades.

If I had a choice between the two LNs, I would go for a Veritas. Made by a company that believes in innovation rather than copying an old design (Stanley, albeit better made) whose products are all the better for it. The QS planes are excellent but they do nothing to move on the art of plane design and making.

Jim

Though I use and enjoy my LN (with a proper O1 iron) it is very easy to fettle a block plane and so I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a cheapo Stanley and Iles iron if it went walkabout.

I bought a cheap stanley copy from Axminster for less than 20 quid and it is really good. It all depends whether you want to spend your money on top end planes or timber.

Gerard Scanlan":2kjyvuwr said:
I bought a cheap stanley copy from Axminster for less than 20 quid and it is really good. It all depends whether you want to spend your money on top end planes or timber.

Or buy used. You probably will have a hard time finding a low angle plane used, but the normal angle planes should be plentiful. By the way, I'd much rather have two block planes than be swapping blades back and forth on one.

Kirk

kirkpoore1":1vcfsv5b said:
Or buy used. You probably will have a hard time finding a low angle plane used, but the normal angle planes should be plentiful. By the way, I'd much rather have two block planes than be swapping blades back and forth on one.

Kirk

Like clamps, you can never have too many block planes; I have only three which is definitely not enough.

Jim

I don't have the QS ( got 2 LNs years ago) but if I was buying now I would get that. I know the blades are good and the idea they sell it with 3 is brilliant, as that is exactly why b/u planes are useful - the ability to change blades and pitch in seconds. Very smart, and stunning value.

Hi

Thanks to all who responded, I found your advice gave me 'food for thought'.

I eventually decided to go for a Quansheng V2 from Workshop Heaven and in order to negate the postage charge added a jewellers saw and some blades.

I placed my order yesterday, (standard delivery), and today, less than 30 hours later, I have the goods in hand :D . The quality of the tools looks to be excellent and they were well packaged. As I live some 30+ miles north of Aberdeen I consider this service to be excellent and will certainly be purchasing from Workshop Heaven again in the future. If this service is indicative of their norm I will not hesitate to thouroughly recommend them.

Now hoping my sharpening equipment, (ordered from Axminster yesterday), turns up tomorrow.

Regards Mick

Fraserburgh? I got my sharpening equipment from WSH as well, Matt will always take time to help and guide on the phone / email, great service.

Yup! That's our Matthew for you! 8)

Pity you didn't get your sharpening system from him as well...if Matthew were a sharpening system...he'd be a real diamond!!

Ok..that's awful! I'll get me coat..... :oops:

Jim

Back