Block Plane Cases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK thanks, I need three which would cost nearly £100 if I got the L-N ones. I was going to make some as I have suitable leather in stock, but at this price it's hardly worth the effort!

I've heard that stroring planes in leather cases can cause corrosion on the plane, due to the acids present in the leather...not sure if this is true though? - Rob

Dunno, what with all these cases, belts, pouches, socks, holsters, you could end up looking like this cross eyed twit:

MAIN.jpg

or this one

23861.jpg

woodbloke":mrs5d44u said:
I've heard that stroring planes in leather cases can cause corrosion on the plane, due to the acids present in the leather...not sure if this is true though? - Rob

I can see how that could be a concern if the leather was of poor quality and not treated correctly, the Kanga ones are treated with oil and wax which, although it's more to keep the leather supple than to prevent corrosion, I would have thought would offer some degree of protection to the tools as well?

I've stored my chisels for years in leather tool rolls and never experienced rust problems, and have recently bought a WH suede tool roll for my new set of AI chisels so I hope they'll be OK, I do treat all my tools with rust inhibitors anyway.

I agree Jacob it's easy to go over the top with all this kit and look a bit of a pineapple, especially if you don't actually need to be carrying all those tools around with you. FWIW I won't be toting my block planes like some Hollywood gunslinger, the pouches are purely to protect them when they're in my tool bag, they're less bulky than the wooden boxes they came in and offer better protection from knocks than a sock.

I won't ask what kind of websites you frequent to find photos like that second one!

Jacob":3cvpswku said:
Dunno, what with all these cases, belts, pouches, socks, holsters, you could end up looking like this cross eyed twit:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I certainly wouldn't want to go near a canal.

John :D

woodbloke":1g01hj2z said:

Rob, nothing to do with your signature, but I believe if you use Pigskin, you don't have the problem. Pigs don't sweat, so maybe that's the reason.

I had a 2" Marples chisel from 'Old Tools'. The chisel was 'wearing' a Pigskin 'boot'. No rust troubles at all, although the chisel is so sharp, the corners slice through the leather, if I'm not careful putting it away.

John :)

The chemicals used in curing the leather can be an issue, yup. As can the fact that leather is hydroscopic - if its in a damp environment, it'll tend to helpfully hold the moisture against your steel. Usual advice seems to be not to look on anything leather for long term storage, but you'll always get individual experience that say it's fine and they've never had a problem. But my personal experience has been poor, so I tend to avoid all leather like the plague.

Latest posts

Back