block plane and spoke shave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd wish to purchase some tools like block plane and spoke shave, but I haven't a lot of experience about, :( hence if someone have a good advice for me will be welcome.
Naturally because my little money I'll try to purchase on ebay some used tool.

Many thanks in advance. :D

Gabriele,

I'm not up to speed on what's what on Ebay at the moment, but maybe some general pointers will help. Most important rule of thumb is, generally speaking, try to get older ones are they're much better finished than the newer ones.

For the block plane, look for a low angle one (see the other thread for why) preferably with an adjustable mouth to give yourself maximum flexibility. Something like a Stanley #60 1/2 or Record #060 1/2. They're just about the most common, so you shouldn't have to pay too much. Expect to have to tune it up though.

Spokeshaves? Well a metal bevel down is probably the easiest place to start and have a good chance of getting a user. People seem to like to have adjusters, so the common Stanley 151 is often recommended. The 152 is just the same but with straight handles. Personally I prefer the plainer Stanley 51 which should be a bit cheaper. Like the 151/152, the 52 is the same but with straight handles. If you can find one for not too high a price (doubtful) the adjustable throat #53/54 is a nice shave. Finally, if you can find one that has a blade in reasonable condition (not too worn or pitted with rust) a wooden spokeshave is just about my favourite type, particularly on end grain.

Hope that helps a bit, and doesn't just cause confusion. :D

Cheers, Alf

Gabriele,

New metal spokeshaves like the Stanleys mentioned by Alf are really not very good and will need a lot of tuning before you will feel happy with them. The tuning work is not trivial either. If you can find a pre-war version they should be OK.

I suggest you look out for old wooden spokeshaves. On these, the blade is set a low angle (unlike the metal ones where the blade is set at the same 45 degrees as a bench plane) and although they may be old and look pretty sad, they can often perform very well. The only trouble is that on Ebay, it is hard to see the condition of the tool. If you see them in the flesh, it is easy to check if the blade is held firmly by the tangs and also to see how worn the mouth is.

A worn mouth can be repaired easily but a loose blade is hard to deal with.

waterhead37":veoiu10e said:
New metal spokeshaves like the Stanleys mentioned by Alf are really not very good and will need a lot of tuning before you will feel happy with them. The tuning work is not trivial either. If you can find a pre-war version they should be OK.
I did say older as my first point... :roll: But it's worth stressing. :wink:

waterhead37":veoiu10e said:
A worn mouth can be repaired easily but a loose blade is hard to deal with.
A traditional solution is to put a screw in from the back, one to bear on each tang. Tighten them up to hold the blade, loosen them when you need to remove it. Simple. Or you can take the lazy option and wrap some paper round the tangs, but that'd drive me mad personally... Loose tangs are not a problem; rusted blades are. Trouble is they're such thin edges they're very susceptible to rust and by the time you've sharpened past the worst you've often got next to no blade left. DAMH... :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1bz8xbxp said:
Hope that helps a bit, and doesn't just cause confusion.

Hi Alf,
you don't be worried. Your advice with that of all folks of the forum doesn't create confusion in me.
All your advices are like rained from the sky for me. :roll:
Now I'll try to find something on ebay like that you said.

Many, many thanks. :D :D

Alf":1avyzbv2 said:
..........Stanley 151 is often recommended. The 152 is just the same but with straight handles. Personally I prefer the plainer Stanley 51 which should be a bit cheaper. Like the 151/152, the 52 is the same but with straight handles. If you can find one for not too high a price (doubtful) the adjustable throat ...........Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

Is it possible that the name "Stanley" isn't visible on Stanley 151?

Yes. I think... :-k I don't think it's cast into the body, is it? Someone? I can't check 'cos I don't have one any more.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1mb052e4 said:
Yes. I think... :-k I don't think it's cast into the body, is it? Someone? I can't check 'cos I don't have one any more.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
I was confused, I wanted to say "Stanle 51". Do you have one any more?

Erm, yep. Two... :oops: I'll go and take a look in a moment - parrots flying about between me and the workshop at the minute (don't ask).

Cheers, Alf

Alf":7qj1gl0j said:
Nope, no "Stanley" cast into the body anywhere. Just No. 51.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, thanks a lot.
You would wonder :".. why geppetto wants to know, so quickly, if Stanley is on the tool..?"
Well, it is because little time ago (half hour ago) I was winning an auction on ebay for one spokeshave of which the "old" owner said that n° 51 was marked on the tool but nothing about the brand. Perhaps Stanley??

Now I am the newer owner I am sure I have a Stanley piece. :D

Do you remember? You did be you who advised me to purchase that tool. :wink:

My tools chest is growing..

Thanks again and we'll meet again perhaps next Monday.
I wish you and All members will have a merry week-end \:D/ [/quote]

Back