BLO + wax + ? on oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3ph

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I`m soon to be looking at finishing some oak, I`m going for BLO with either Briwax or beeswax, but I`m wondering if I should put some sanding sealer on first and then cut it back?

I`m guessing I need to fill the grain somehow or I`ll get a rough finish from the grain, or will the BLO fill the grain itself?

Any help here is much appreciated.

ps. started finishing the planks with an orbital sander, boy is that slow work, I`ve now gone "Retro" and bought a Quangsheng No. 4 and a set of cabinet scrapers, a much nicer experience altogether (hammer)

Hi, here's a couple of pics of an old oak table I polished recently. It has a light stain, two coats of sanding sealer and then waxed with morrell's clear wax which is quite nice to use.

ukwoak2a.JPG
ukwoaktable1a.JPG

Attachments

• ukwoaktable1a.JPG
    ukwoaktable1a.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 595
  • ukwoak2a.JPG
    ukwoak2a.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 594
Only go with wax if you are happy to keep on waxing it. Otherwise, use a finish with the level of sheen you want. The sheen from wax is transient and will be even more so in a warm dry situation like a mantlepiece..

Jim

I`ve gone with powered pumice and BLO to fill the grain, I`ll be checking the result tonight, fingers crossed..

Yep I`m aware that wax is a very fragile solution, but luckily the top will just have a few static objects on it, record player etc. So won`t get much in the way of action.

And I`m happy with a fairly dull satin finish.

cheers!

Back