Blind Youtuber Woodworker?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shed9":sz5hjt54 said:
Erm, wind your neck in. I initially thought the same when I noticed they guy drop his glasses down, if only for a few seconds.

One of those things, you don't sometimes fully appreciate the need for safety even from your own perspective until you understand it from other peoples' point of view as well. Makes you think is all.

I agree that some of the comments here are disparaging but reporting some people and suggesting idiocy of others is not the way to get your point across.

If you think I reacted badly (which I don't think I did if you read what I wrote correctly), then you need to check yourself - don't excuse this kind behaviour - it isn't cool.

Simple fact is that the original post was about a guy with a disability doing his thing, and some people decided that it would be ok to cast doubt on that and throw comments in about drawing disability payments etc. That's just wrong and should be treat with the contempt it deserves..

You have an amazing ability to read far more into comments than is actually there.

I stand by everything I said. I have no problems questioning disabilities, if someone is genuine there is nothing to be concerned about, sadly I have met many fraudsters, some got (and still get) away with it, others I have seen exposed. Disability fraud is real. You can live in your dream world if you like, I'll live in the real one.

Bodgers":3bfmczl1 said:
shed9":3bfmczl1 said:
Erm, wind your neck in. I initially thought the same when I noticed they guy drop his glasses down, if only for a few seconds.

One of those things, you don't sometimes fully appreciate the need for safety even from your own perspective until you understand it from other peoples' point of view as well. Makes you think is all.

I agree that some of the comments here are disparaging but reporting some people and suggesting idiocy of others is not the way to get your point across.

If you think I reacted badly (which I don't think I did if you read what I wrote correctly), then you need to check yourself - don't excuse this kind behaviour - it isn't cool.

Simple fact is that the original post was about a guy with a disability doing his thing, and some people decided that it would be ok to cast doubt on that and throw comments in about drawing disability payments etc. That's just wrong and should be treat with the contempt it deserves..

Not excusing any kind of behaviour, including your own, just think your response is counter productive. Again I agree that some of the comments have been worrying but contempt at this juncture based on off-hand forum comments is maybe not the way forward. Educating ignorance is far more productive in my opinion than simply calling it out.

I suspect it's all moot anyhow, someone will probably be along promptly to delete the thread to ensure the t'internet is all unicorns and raindrops......

OK, lets read this again shall we

Rorschach":10c7udpr said:
Is he fully blind? Whenever I see "blind" people doing extraordinary things I always have a hint of suspicion.

When I had a shop I had a regular customer who was "blind", totally blind he told us. He walked around carrying a walkie talkie which he said was a type of sonar device that helped him see where he was going.

He used to pick up items in the shop and "read" them using the sonar device.

He was about as blind as I am handsome. Still quite happy to take his disability payments though. :roll:

At no point in the above statement does anyone mock the disabled or claim they are all fraudsters

thetyreman":10c7udpr said:
I agree with bodgers, completely inappropriate comment, it was very distasteful, openly mocking disabled and claiming they're all fraudsters.

The OP simply asked " is he fully blind?" and then recounted a personal experience of someone who in his view was a charlatan or a bit mad.

That was it, end of statement.

When brought up on the fact that someone interpreted as distasteful , he apologised for the misunderstanding and clarified his point.

So can we please stop arguing about something that did not happen.

I suspect it's all moot anyhow, someone will probably be along promptly to delete the thread to ensure the t'internet is all unicorns and raindrops......

Thanks for your support Shed9, as moderators we just love trying to please everyone all of the time whilst trying to keep the place friendly.

nev":23f2bjmt said:
Thank you gents, lets not get too personal now.
Exacto.
Take a breath lads ffs.
Fair play to the man whatever the vagaries of his eyesight.

nev":37tekspg said:
Thanks for your support Shed9, as moderators we just love trying to please everyone all of the time whilst trying to keep the place friendly.

That's fair enough and you're right, moderating is a thankless task sometimes - been there done that.

I apologise for that comment....

Rorschach":xrm4bnk6 said:
You have an amazing ability to read far more into comments than is actually there.

I stand by everything I said. I have no problems questioning disabilities, if someone is genuine there is nothing to be concerned about, sadly I have met many fraudsters, some got (and still get) away with it, others I have seen exposed. Disability fraud is real. You can live in your dream world if you like, I'll live in the real one.
Not really. It is in plain sight.

Your first instinct was to doubt someone's disability than recount a story of a faker, thus making a direct implication that blind people should not be believed in the first instance.

You then threw in a comment (backed up with an eye roll) about disability benefit.

This isn't cool. Full stop.

Despite your (and the moderators) attempt to minimize your comments (and others) I stand by my reaction - and I am glad to see there was at least someone that agreed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":35cn6hax said:
Not really. It is in plain sight.

Your first instinct was to doubt someone's disability than recount a story of a faker, thus making a direct implication that blind people should not be believed in the first instance.

You then threw in a comment (backed up with an eye roll) about disability benefit.

This isn't cool. Full stop.

Despite your (and the moderators) attempt to minimize your comments (and others) I stand by my reaction - and I am glad to see there was at least someone that agreed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Well it's not the first time we have clashed, and I doubt it will be the last.

Look forward to next time :lol:

Back