Bleeding tree!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
This is not a moan or contradicting the CofC - It's just that I had to lob off a branch of my walnut tree a few days ago (It was too low & obstructing a public footpath) I know it's the wrong time of year but I didn't expect that once the chain saw had done it's evil work the wound would start leaking so profusely. Is there anything I can do??
Also how long might this go on for?? Any tree surgeons on this forum??

Losos... you need to seal the cut end to stem any possibility of the tree becoming infected... some cheap outdoor grade paint usually does the trick; it'll buy just enough time for the tree to do a proper job itself..

General not to seal cuts these days as it tends to trap more infection than it keeps out. The sap is rising at the moment so it was the worst time to do it, will slow down over the next few weeks.

Jason

Yes Jason I did know it wasn't a good time but I was forced into by the fact it was obstructing a public footpath & someone had complained. As you said it has now stoped 'leaking' so I am more relaxed knowing the tree won't die :wink:

Losos":5f46ehv2 said:
Yes Jason I did know it wasn't a good time[...] As you said it has now stoped 'leaking' so I am more relaxed knowing the tree won't die :wink:
If it's any consolation, I trimmed a 4 inch diam branch from my walnut tree at the "right" time (November/December, from memory) and it bled gallons. But it has now healed over without obvious harm. Agree that the consensus now seems to be not to seal.

Dick - Initially I did use some sealing paint but it seemed to make it worse so I removed it. Wound has now sealed thankfully. I subsequently found out that Walnut trees are particularly prone to bleeding so that's probably why yours did the same thing at the 'right' time of year.

Back