Blastgates - plastic or aluminium?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
The message subject says it all, really - I would be interested to hear if anyone has any opinions as to whether aluminium blast gates are better than the plastic ones. There isn't a huge difference in price for the number of gates I need - a total of three for a small system with short pipe runs extracting from planer, thicknesser & router table.

Thanks for your help,

Neil

I used the Charnwood ones at £6.50 (plastic). Some leak when closed - you hear a hiss from them with the 3HP motor going. I used about 10 and felt the the aluminium ones cost too much.
Barry

PipeWork8.jpg

Neil, as Scrit suggests, you could take the best option and make your own. A couple of hours work.
But you want to buy I'd go for the alu ones.
One other consideration is "self cleaning" blast gates. These have the blank sliding through and out the other side of the frame. Like this:
03j6122s2.jpg

and
03j6122d2.jpg

Chips and sawdust tend to become trapped at the back of the slot with the blastgates that have a blank that slides out on one side only. As the gate is opened and closed the sawdust becomes compacted with the result that the gate does not close completely and pressure is lost.
Rgds

Noel

Many thanks, gents - so its self-build or aluminium. To be honest, as I only need three at the moment I may as well just buy them. Noely, I think McQuillans in Dublin may have the self-cleaning type you showed there - I'll ask CYC as I know he has just bought some.

Thanks again,
Neil

Noel, you forgot to mention where you could get those nice blastgates! :)

For others who also wondered, I found them here: LeeValley

Lee Valley have such nice stuff...

Neil, I got the self cleaning ones from McQuillans, using Noel picture (although not exactly those):

03j6122d2.jpg

I am very happy with it but haven't put them through years of use yet :wink:

Barry, I discovered after installing the gates that there IS a way to place them. The lip on the gate itself should be installed bending towards the extractor (hope this is clear). One of my gates with this lip bending away from the extractor is hissing a little, thus leaking a bit. Also, tightening the little screw on the gate helps seal better the opening. I don't see a little screw on yours?
By luck 3 out of 4 I installed were facing the right way.

It was expensive to install it all but I am really happy it's there now. No more dust and chips everywhere :D

Thanks, CYC - I'll have to pick up three gates next time I'm in Dublin.

Cheers,
Neil

This was just my experience with metal gates. It may not be the same for you but just thought I'd mention it.

Latest posts

Back