Blanks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have a lathe turning up tomorrow, it'll take a few days before I'm making a mess as I'll have to build a table for it. I'm a wheelchair user so I'm going to measure up when it arrives. I've done a huge amount of research in the past and I know there are great setups available, but I can't afford that kind of thing at the moment. So I have an Axminster Craft arriving tomorrow and I'll have to try to make it fit. I've been umming about this for 2 years so it WILL fit!!

Unfortunately the table/bench (for the time being) will have to be built of soft white wood, braced where possible with steel, maybe a bit of welding involved. But I have to be able to move the thing around so it can't weigh a ton.

I was pretty much self taught a few years ago, so I'll be a while ruining off cuts before I get around to anything worth presenting and I have a load of dodgy wood here from a garden tree that had to be removed. It was sealed and it's been stored dry outside for 3 years now, it should be about ready.

I've been looking around for some bowl blanks. Really, I'd like to use re-purposed wood for everything, and you'd think that wouldn't be a problem in the middle of Lincolnshire, but you don't see many GumTree adds stating 'Garden tree free to a good home'.

Could you kind people recommend any sources from reputable, sustainable sources? Or reclaimed? All woods considered.

Of course if I have a need for something really exotic I'll have little choice but to purchase from a mainstream supplier, but I really disapprove of trees being cut down just to supply wood to hobbyists. Not that we don't deserve true respect for what we do, but hey, we have to respect the trees too right?

And having read all this blurb, (I tend to waffle) I would really appreciate any general advice you might have. Including where I might find a wheelchair smock to keep the chips out of my crotch!!

Many thanks. :eek:)

To buy blanks, I would suggest either home of wood or Stiles and bates. I have had good blanks from both.

Where in Lincs are you? I would drop a line to a couple of tree surgeons. Once it is known that you turn, it is surprising what crops up from neighbours and the local area.

Hi Munty,
I hope eveything goes well for you. Enjoy your new experiences, but be careful.
You will likely have thought of this, but I'll recount a tale.
Recently a friend, long time wheelchair user, bought a lathe and used it on a mobile table. One day he was turning and noticed some vibration, thinking it was the wood being awkward, he carried on.
The next he knew the lathe was on the floor at his feet. Very fortunately the machine did not scrape the skin off his shins, nor was its fall broken by his feet on the chair footrests. The machine had walked off the table onto the floor and did not break.
I still cannot figure out just how he managed it. A very lucky escape.
Now his lathe is firmly bolted to the table/bench and that has locking castors.
Please have fun, but take care as well.
xy

I've a good mate who's a tree surgeon, he keeps me stocked up with nice bits. Key to processing green blanks (in my experience) is speed - these days I try to get them processed as fast as I can, if you leave them much more than a couple of days they are split and useless. I slab them with an electric chainsaw, then cut them into discs on the bandsaw. While I'm cutting I've got a small benchtop hotplate I stick on with a pan of paraffin wax, by the time I've cut my blanks, its melted and ready to coat the endgrain. As a system it works really well for me.

Your ears will soon become accustomed to the sound of chainsaws, don't be afraid to stop and ask even if it costs you a pint or a bowl it can be worth it. remember that you will need to keep collecting to keep the stocks going as some is drying others will be ready to turn.
Learn how to rough turn bowls and then re-chuck them once dry. This last bit will help reduce the drying time of the wood.
As above contact local tree surgeons and landscape gardeners

Latest posts

Back