Blank-cutting jig for bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured how to make one for bowl blanks that doesn't require drilling a hole in the blank - or at most a very shallow hole?
Thanks, C

I use a stick with holes in it and hold a nail in the centre without pushing it in and a pen/pencil in one of the many holes and use it like a trammel then free hand around the pencil mark.

No Holes so that leaves me to decide which way around to use the blank all are sealed around the circumfrence and date and weight written on that as well as the wood. Saves having to pull them out to see which wood they are as well as knowing those odd woods that I will forget in the future.

I'm with Derek here, using a circle cutting jig is a time waster for Bowl Blanks, unless the wood is extremely stable it's going to move out of round anyway.

I have a series of hardboard discs (cut on my circle cutting jig some years ago) that I use to mark the circles or tack onto a log and cut the round freehand.

There are Images here of my discs and circle jig in place (with pin location point)

I've got a curious question here for the more turny fellas than me.

If you're only going to store the blanks for a period to dry out, Is there really a point to cutting a blank round before you actually get around to turning it? I know if you're cutting up a plank for blanks it's more efficient on timber if you cut circles as tight together as you can but if they're already squares wouldn't it be better to leave them like that?

If you are cutting from Logs or Slabs, trimming them down to circles reduces the bulk taking up shelf space and reduces time wasted waiting for moisture migration during drying out of basically waste wood.
May seem trivial but by the time you've had to build yet another shed for wood storage it becomes significant.

I have this lot to resize and work into blanks, many with bark on and then there'll be more -
IMG_E2287.jpg

Any mechanical aid's going to help, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_E2287.jpg
    IMG_E2287.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 284

Latest posts

Back