blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doddy555

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i have a hegner, bin scrolling for 4 months now, i have just moved onto cutting hard wood, i am braking so many blades, help please

i have tryed every way to do it, i just cant seem to get it right, i know i doing something simple wrong, but what? i dont push wood hard at all if anything i do it to slow,,,,,i may be over tightening blades not tryed that thanks

Have good tension, that means the blade should not move sideways more then 1/8". I think that is about around 2 mm.
Have good speed and very low feed rate. Never be in a hurry.
Remember that most blades have a burr on the right side and will cut to the right. To stay on the line you have to move the wood some degree to the right. Do not fight this or you will break blades.
FD Mike

if its because you are over tightening the bottom clamp the blade will be braking near the clamp so check where the break has occured to rule this out

Mark

thanks mark , think i might be over tightening both clamps , they snap at top are bottom, not bin on saw much this week with work, work 4 nites, i am finding it hard to cut hard wood after mdf an birch ply,but i loving me new hobby :)

yeah i know the feeling about time !! i make the descision to do some cutting after i finish work at tea time but i usually to knakered from my job as a physio assistant !! i of until tuesday so hoping to get in there today !! and put things back in my newly cleaned and organised workshop and try out my new axminster sander !!

glad to hear you are enjoying your hobby looks like you got the bug ! i went through a phase of blade breakage until i realised i was over tightening the bottom clamp , have you got the quick blade change clamp at the top ? if you havent i reccomend you get it as blade changing will be loads quicker and less chance of overtightening top clamp as you use the knurled bit and tighten by hand so much quicker especially for internal cuts but make changing whole blade easier

have fun !!

mark

hi mark, i need so many other things now like drill pres, sander,router table,light, i well got the bug love it, yes i got quick release clamp on my hegner, i wil try today an see what happens, whatever happens i will have fun chat soon :)

doddy555":2axtyks6 said:
i need so many other things now like drill pres, sander,router table,light,

I think that is why woodworking is referred to as 'the slippery slope' :) I am getting a wonderful collection of impressive looking stuff and having great fun learning how to use it to produce larger quantities of better quality sawdust.

sounds good about you getting more machines i started of with hegner then i got a bandsaw , drill press, makita palm sander and a axminster bench mounted sander, i invest some of the money i earn making craft items back into getting new machines next on my list is some dust extraction and a chop saw oh and a router !! :lol:

hi think i maybe should have choose knitting has hobby lol an not scroll sawing, hopefully when i got enough stock i can do some craft fairs an get some money back so i can carry on buying more stuff :)

Latest posts

Back