Blades and bits ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to the Timberman trade show today. My first trade show and I didn't know you aren't supposed to take money, cards or cash in any form !!

Thought " I just need a new straight router bit". Came away with a Jet Supersaw, a Jet 18" Bandsaw and a Jet DC1300 dust Extraction unit. Forgot the router bit !!!!

Assuming I am still alive to use these things when they arrive (wife's not home yet and I told her this morning "Don't worry, I'm going to spend £20 max dear !!"), I've read lots of reports that machinery comes with less than desirable blades bits etc.

So in for a penny as they say. What blades would be preferable for the table and bandsaw. Is an upgrade, even though the stuff will obviously arrive with new blades, a wise decision.

Also as I said, I still need to buy a router bit. What make do people suggest. I am of the opinion that quality costs and you get what you pay for. Not that cost is not an issue but quality is foremost. So what's good value ?

ROTFL!! :lol: :lol: You do realise your missus will never let you go to a show ever again. :shock: Hope you got a good deal from the Jetman. :wink:

Anyway, blades... T/S, dunno, search me (or the archives). Bandsaw: the general consensus is DureEdge on 08702-252337. Tell him what sort of tasks you want to do, and he'll suggest the best blades for the job. Router cutters: Wealden get the prize for this catergory, with an honourable mention to Axminster's Perform for value for money and their nifty idea of the lines on the shanks so you can see how far in it is into the collet.

Have fun and buy SWMBO a bunch of flowers - and a big box of chocs - and probably a diamond something too - and you may yet live long enough to enjoy your new toys. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

A man after my own heart - it's good to know there are more of us out there!

T/S blades - the best I have found in this country after fairly extensive and expensive testing, are the TREND blades. These are not cheap but they are so much better than others I have tried, I willingly pay the extra.

Router bits - I like several others here like the Wealden bits. They are designed by Wealden and sourced from wherever the price is right but quality is assured by Wealden and they perform very well. Their customer service is excellent.

Hi mdf

Well done, you're a very brave man. You should have got the set and bought the Jointer and Thicknesser. :wink:

The blade on the supersaw is quite ok, I think. I don't know anything about their bandsaw but everyone says get rid of the supplied blade and buy Dure Edge.

For the router bits I would strongly recommend Wealdens. They have a really good service. You can download their catalogue and price list. Just ring them and normally you will receive it next day.

All the best
Neil

Wife's just got home so I thought I'd get a quick thanks in.
Dure Edge and Wealden seem to be a good choice then.
Wish me luck !!!!!!!!!

M.

Can't comment on the Wealden bits other than their quality and service appears to be very good.
Ref T/S blades I've only ever used Freud and find them excellent. Haven't used any other makes. Got a thin kerf rip and a 60 tooth crosscut. Both mighty good.
B/S blades - as others have mentioned Dure edge with Hamilton Edge next.

Think it made sense to go mad on your first visit, just may not get the chance again....
Rgds

Noel

M you gotta get the machines up n running asap someone has really gotta do a couple of tool reviews .Thats if SWMBO has left your arms intact :twisted: .
PS i find hiding the receipts and credit card statements help :lol:
my other half thinks a tormek i just ordered was £88 :roll:

I'll do what I can.
Was drooling over the Tormeks today as well. Looked great and is definitely on my want list.
Seems to me that if you are going to the expense of a great sharpening system then you can fully justify having good quality tools to sharpen. What chisels do people use out there ? I'm looking at replacing my old marples butter knives.

Blimey, Mdf :shock:

Anyway, as you've started the spending in such an admirably positive manner you might just as well now go the whole hog and buy any (all :wink: ) the other machinery and tools you need (want :wink:), including the Tormek so, as you say, you will just have to buy all those bladed tools for sharpening - no point in having the Tormek otherwise (make sure you get the 2006).

BTW - how big is your workshop? Do you need to buy a larger one to house all the new kit? Best of luck and hope you survive! :roll:

Seriously, I agree with the others - Dure Edge blades for your bandsaw. No knowledge of table saws as I don't have one yet (Oh my, what a shameful admission of my weakness :oops: )

Cheers, Trev.

Mdotflorida,

Well if you're still alive or not homeless :wink: I recommend Freud for table saw blades. I haven't got a bandsaw (yet) but as everyone says Dure-Edge are the ones to get :)

Back