Blade storage box for table saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by something else I saw, I wanted to make a box to store my collection of table saw blades - currently in individual sleeves, and its a pain to get each one out as you need them, so I tend to stick with just the one blade, hopefully, now they are within easy reach, I will swap more often!

12mm Ply and 6mm MDF is the material of the day

Box was to have 6 'trays' to hold the blades, blades are 254mmm, so I made the trays 300mm - cut 12 300x300 squares from 6mm MDF, as they would be glued together later on...

IMG_5007.jpeg

Quick and dirty circle jig for the palm router, and routed circles 260mm in half of the 12 300x300 panels

IMG_5010.jpeg

These are then glued to the remaining 300x300 panels to form a 'tray'

IMG_5016.jpeg

Box cut out of 12mm ply, rebated so just 6mm of the ply edge showing and a bit of extra strength on the joints - test fit for size before glueing

IMG_5012.jpeg

Then cut grooves in both the sizes, 12.7mm (1/2") to allow the 12mm thick trays to slide in easily

IMG_5013.jpeg

All glued together and trays tested for fit

IMG_5017.jpeg

They were a little tight, so took a fraction off the width of each, and now a much better fit.

Then applied some finish to the box, and got the 'front' cut to size

IMG_5030.jpeg

Few finished pics

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

Now I made a bit of a error in the front - my plan was to use plain old toggle clasp things to keep the front attached, but as I rebated the front, there is only 6mm showing to be able to secure the hook part of the toggle clasp, so struggling to come up with a way to keep the front attached - I have seen toggle clasps that fit around a corner, but seem to be expensive. Any ideas on keeping the front attached based on the rebate on the lid and in the opening?

Last edited:
Nicely done !
I made up something similar as my very first lockdown project using some 1" birch ply and MRMDF sheet that I had on hand.
I like your trays better but couldn't go out to buy additional materials so I have a partial tray for the bottom edge only and turned up some bosses out of an old plastic chopping board.
20200403_183939.jpg

20200405_201612.jpg

With a boxful of 14 and 16" blades it weighs a bit and I'm glad of the fold flat steel flightcase handles I added later in the year.

Looks good, Like the idea of the metal and flight case handles. Will have a look for some of those.

Back