Quantcast

Blade sharpness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
We often get threads about sharpening. This isn't one!

OK, we keep out chisels and plane irons sharp. We get our TS blades, our SCMS blades resharpened when they need it. Our bandsaw blades, too.

But who thinks about their Biscuit Jointer blade? I certainly don't. It's not a tool I use very often, and when I do, it's just a few biscuits. It's not an all-day-every-day machine.

Recently I made a picture frame and I was getting burning. Well it's oak, it's quite hard. But it was worse than I'd remembered it. Smoking a bit, actually.

I bought it new, the machine has 2003 on the plate. I've NEVER had the blade sharpened.

So guessing the cost of taking it in to have 6 teeth sharpened and then going to collect it again would exceed the cost of a new blade, I ordered a replacement.

What a difference! Easier plunge, no burning, clean cut. Night and day.

So if you use a BJ, ask yourself when you last had a new blade in it.

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes mine needs sharpening, I had a load of saw blades sharpened through work but I forgot my biscuit joiner.
I have tickled it up in the past with a diamond stone which worked well but a proper sharpen would be better.

Pete

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
They are definitely shapenable, at least my Makita's manual says its blade is, anyway.

In my very limited experience the blades that come back from the saw doctor (Leitz Tooling in my case), usually outperform new blades. I think Leitz's QC is very good.

E.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
:shock: Mine is older than your and never crossed my mind to sharpen it. :oops: Will look at it tomorrow1

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've router cutters that have done more hard work in fifteen minutes than my biscuit jointer has in fifteen years. I'll not worry for a while yet. :D

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
My Elu Biscuit jointer needs a sharpen. It started to kick back the last time I used it. It doesn't operate the same way as modern jointers. The plunge is achieved by rocking the tool-body rather than plunging away from yourself. It can give you a bit of a start when kickback happens. Most disconcerting.

I will retire it and buy a modern piece of kit! Although I have a Domino, so is it worth the bother?

John (hammer)

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve Maskery":i039a39z said:
So if you use a BJ, ask yourself when you last had a new blade in it.
I had the same issue Steve with my Lamello C2 (you can tell it's a few years old :D ) so I put a new Ax blade in it...like having a new machine - Rob