Blade set question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemaux

In Memorium
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. I would like to pick the brains of the illuminati here. Since I will be using an extremely thin grade of plywood (Mandarin orange crate salvage) to cut 1\72 scale and 1/48 scale wartime aircraft models , I was wondering if removing a bit of the set on my blades might give me a smoother cut. It is fairly smooth now with just the zero clearance table I bodged up but I thought it might be even better if I were to drag the blade across a dollar store stone once or twice on each side. Gently of course and stretched between my fingers.

Very true Col , same occurred to me a bit after signing off. will try tomorrow and post result . After all , blades come in multi packs and cheap as can be. This is looking to be the beginning of a lot of fun , should have done this long ago (get a scroll saw that is)

Some folk swear by tickling the back edge of one side of the blade in an attempt to persuade them to cut a little truer but Ive never heard of anyone deliberately trying to take the edge off the set. I imagine sharp corners might be harder to negotiate but it'd be interesting to see it burnishes the cut as it goes.

If I were doing the same sort of thing I think I would first try various blades as they are on some scrap pieces and then judge what blade would be best for the job in hand. I have never felt the need to alter the set on any blade as there is such a vast range available.

Hi Geoff, in my neck of the woods that would mean ordering in from t'internet or travel of day trip variety. The 2 hardware dealers within "shopping day" radius both stock American Vermont blades in a shamefully thin selection (15 TPI). I will indeed be ordering in at some near future time but until then it's a choice of 1. The question was more for information though, as I'm an inquisitive country boy and still wet new to this scrolling stuff. You should see the stack of newly cut bits and bobs on the basement floor. Straight bits ,wavy bits , tiny circles , already having a pretty grand time just fiddling in the off-cuts bin. That's just me though , a 260 pound 10 year old at heart.
Slightly off piste, those straight bits are a bit of a fiddle to accomplish as the blade tracks left a touch. I don't think it's a tension problem as the "ping" I'm getting is high frequency stuff (these Vermont things are tough , have not snapped one yet) So I thought the set of the stamped blades may have something to do with that as well.
Still and all, having a grand time learning to cut to a drawn line. Reminds me of the day I got my brad nailer. wife got home to find no two off-cuts unattached.

Back