Blade getting damaged

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to use my Veritas low angle jack plane on my shooting board to trim some Oak.

The first few strokes are ok, but then the blade gets progessively more damaged, as can be seen in the image. The only material that part of the blade touches, is the MDF shooting board, and the oak itself. I have checked for any metal that might accidentally be exposed.

The blade is sharpened to 25 degrees. I thought this might be too shallow, so also tried 30 degrees. Same thing.

Any ideas? I assume this should not be happening?

plane1.jpg

Attachments

• plane1.jpg
    plane1.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 220
The streaks on the plane's sole appear to align perfectly with the chip in the iron. There might be something in the oak or the shooting board that you are missing.

It looks like it has chipped the blade, it could be some thing in the oak of the blade is too hard.
A steeper angle should have given you a stronger edge, can you grind back well past the damage and try again to see if it's a local area that has a problem.

Pete

Turn the work over and do a few passes. If it chips again you have dense material such as metal or rock in the mix. Do this before spending time regrinding the blade.

I resharpened the blade, and tried with a bit of pine. All fine, so its not the shooting board itself.

Trimmed the Oak on the mitre saw, so as to try another section.
I *think* the issue is still happening, there seems to be small amount of compression/bending of the tip of the blade, just not as much this time.

Never thought of this before, but is there a chance that a the sawblade could become magnetized for any reason?
If you were say angle grinding nearby, I'd guess that the dust would most certainly stick to it
What about cutting a piece of scrap first, is it better practice to clean the blade with a brush beforehand.
Is this regular practice?

I have a magnetic flathead screwdriver for the cap iron, and I was hoping lapping the coating off would sort this out.
It is still magnetic, so I watched a video on the subject.
They say hitting the metal can magnetize it, so could this blade have had something solid dropped on it in a drawer?

More on topic...
If you get the same scratch pattern on the sole as wear on the iron again, maybe try flipping the board ans see if its definitely the timber.

Back