Blade choice for Hegner MC2 on 12mm Birch Plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to have a try and making some wooden gears. I've got some 12mm birch plywood which I've read is a good material for gear making since it won't expand much under heat. I managed to get a used Hegner on ebay but am going to need some blades. I've seen people mention "Mike's Workshop" as a good source for blades but there are a lot to choose from (and until I get my saw through the courier - I won't even know what variant I need).

What would people advise for my purposes? Something with some reverse teeth I would assume? And where from? Is Mike's Workshop the best bet or are there other options (perhaps in the UK)?

BTW, I'd post a link to the saw I managed to secure for comments - but need a few more posts.
Thanks!

Email Mike - he is very helpful and tell him of your needs - he will recommend the correct blades.

Rod

The most useful add on I have got for my Hegner is the quick change upper blade clamp - it makes blade changing a lot easier - http://www.hegner.co.uk/Quick-Clamp-for-Piercework

I've usually found Hegner's own blades quite good - but you have to get the feel of the machine and blades. When I first got my machine I tried spiral blades as they cut in any direction without the need to compensate for tendency to cut at an angle - the problem was they left a 'relatively' wide kerf and if making interlocking parts the fit was sloppy (I made a load of wooden jigsaw puzzle cards one Christmas).

Misterfish

Back