Blackthorn - not Blackadder :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some Blackthorn thats been growing taller and taller over the last 20 years or so to the extent that the main trunk is now 6" or so in diameter and in the recent wind has fallen sideways (wet ground) from the field adjoining the end of the garden and now I reluctantly need to gradually trim it and so carefully into small manageable pieces to either bonfire or put it whence it came (no problem in doing that) - but there is a useful 3 metres or so of trunk that could harvest.
Is it good for turning or anything at all? any ideas Is it a hardwood?

I've got a large thicket of the stuff in one of the paddocks and it self seeds like mad. I've only ever burnt it but one day I want to make make a nice walking staff.

For what it's worth (not much) I read years ago that blackthorn was supposedly the preferred wood for pegging M&T joints in early woodworking.
I should imagine a good gnarly bit would make a good head for a mallet too.

Yes, the Irish walking stick/cudgel or shillelagh was traditionally made from blackthorn. Wikipedia has a description and details of how to make them.

Thanks folks -I have made sloe gin before superb
re the wood now its down still in one "trunk" although not straight for the full length maybe I should cut it into 3 foots or so and seal the ends and get round to it in due course it will still be green though. I could try a couple of small bowls first to see how it goes. or leave it in one long piece? whatsayyou

You're very lucky to get blackthorn 6" diameter, most of it seems to be just large shrubs at least what I can find. I think I read somewhere that it's a very hard timber and used to be used for mallets etc?

My missus makes, slow gin, rum and whisky for Xmas and New Year... 'Tis lovely stuff on a cold winters evening :) I thought blackthorn timber was used for rake teeth back in the day?

Thank you all for the info - appreciated.
Just for the fun of it I googled Blackthorn Logs seems you can sell them at £42 a pop for 20kg

We have a patch of blackthorn on the farm also know as arrrgh bast ard trees - totaly agree with the warning about the thorns, getting a panicking goat out of a thicket should be an Olympic sport, much better watched than participated in.

Back