Black Walnut kitchen worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO has picked American black walnut worktops for the kithcen upgrade. Is Walnut suitable for a kitchen worktop and what kind of oil is best for treating it ........Danish/BLO?

Thanks in advance

I would stay away from any real wood worktops. The amount of time spent cleaning and re-oiling is large, especially around the sink area. Remember everything has to be cleared off the worktop while work is carried out and for two coats I would expect two days.

I would never have wood myself. it looks gfreat to start with, but as pointed out comes with lots of problems in the future. If the budget wouldn't stretch to granite then it would be good quality laminate for me, or, if I had the time, a tiled top with a wood surround. Ideal for worktops as long as epoxy or acrylic grout is used.

Hi,

I have fitted a few wooden worktops and they have held up well.
If they look worn a quick rub down with a scotchbrite pad, a coat of danish oil wiped off after it starts to go off, job done in under an hour.
Do it last thing at night and put everything back in the morning.
Laminate is less maintanance, but come on chaps its a Woodwork forum not a Laminate forum, wood looks much nicer.

Pete

Racers":2vpmfw3j said:
Laminate is less maintanance, but come on chaps its a Woodwork forum not a Laminate forum, wood looks much nicer.

It's a WORKtop, not something to be looked at. It's going to get splashed with hot soapy water, boiling water from the kettle, and the area adjacent to the hob is going to get warm.

Wood is good in its place, but that's not in a hardworking kitchen, especially if the kitchen has multiple users, some of who are not so careful as the owner.

I have a black walnut worktop as the worktop in our welsh dresser. It doesn't have much stuff on the actual worktop but where it does its got little scratches, they would sand out very easily. Its finished with Danish oil, light coats and it dried quickly. Its really lovely I'd do a whole kitchen in it for sure.

Lord Kitchener":etn22wrm said:
if I had the time, a tiled top with a wood surround. Ideal for worktops as long as epoxy or acrylic grout is used.

Just what I hope to do on my new kitchen. 600mmx600mm floor tiles on 36mm mdf. Do I use ordinary floor tile adhesive and which is better epoxy or acrylic grout. If both the same, which is easier to apply.

The Mrs is set on the Walnut, it will be her domain, messy boys are not allowed in to muck this up (suits me, no cooking or having to do the washing up) so there will be no issues of people scratching or abusing her worktop - god forbidd.

Thanks for the input fellahs

Back