Black Pinhead Marks In Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I planed and thicknessed some Ash and noticed a couple of black pinhead marks, what causes these?
Not a very clear picture I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Ash.JPG
    Ash.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 140
I'm afraid I can't see anything in this pic. Is the piece newly planed or has it been hanging around for a bit? Are they numerous
and extensive?

Yojevol":374iqf1y said:
I'm afraid I can't see anything in this pic. Is the piece newly planed or has it been hanging around for a bit? Are they numerous
and extensive?
I've tried to use the macro feature on the camera in the past can't seem to get it to work.If it helps I'll try and take a close up I've had this Ash for a good year or so I machined it today. It did have a few holes in it from departed worm, there is one more pinhead hole so three in total.

Are they holes?

If yes it's more than likely a hole from a staple holding a tag from when it was shipped, you tend to get them all the time with the big timber suppliers and occasionally you end up with a staple going through the thicknesser :oops:

If they're not holes, It's more likely to be some form of mineral that grew into the tree, like you get calcium deposits in Iroko.

Trevanion":39cx1u0y said:
Are they holes?

If yes it's more than likely a hole from a staple holding a tag from when it was shipped, you tend to get them all the time with the big timber suppliers and occasionally you end up with a staple going through the thicknesser :oops:

If they're not holes, It's more likely to be some form of mineral that grew into the tree, like you get calcium deposits in Iroko.
They are tiny little holes about the size of a pin prick. I also have some lime, after machining I saw these small round black marks not holes.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 69
custard":e0ey1erg said:
On the Lime they look like pin knots, the traces of where a twig once grew.
Ah ok, out of curiosity if one wanted to, how could one cover them up, blend them in? I don't recall seeing them before I machined the timber, so could they be hidden in any timber, then appear after machining?

I also can't see any black pinhead marks on the Ash.
If you are referring to the two small round marks near the arrow, it's probably just some inconsistency, as the grain pattern is surrounding them.
If it was some kind of woodboring beetle, the grain wouldn't follow such intrusions.

Latest posts

Back