Black Friday Deals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been holding of getting a new lathe with the likes of Black Friday coming up, is there any chance that there will be any deals for lathes or not? I kind of error towards not but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

What sort / size / budget? Last time I looked Axminster had already knocked £100 off the AWVSL1000

I was in Axminster's Cardiff store on Sunday, they had the Axminster Hobby Series AH-1218 Woodturning Lathe on a Black Friday deal, around £250 I think, it's not available on their website, £300 there.

Stoatally":16fhqzy7 said:
What sort / size / budget? Last time I looked Axminster had already knocked £100 off the AWVSL1000

This. They had a great deal on their 2030 lathe recently as they integrated the powermatic lathes into the range.

S

I was in Axminster's Cardiff store on Sunday, they had the Axminster Hobby Series AH-1218 Woodturning Lathe on a Black Friday deal, around £250 I think, it's not available on their website, £300 there.

Now on their website, £240 saving £60.

I have been after a Jet 1221Vs or a Record Power Coronet for quite a while.

Has to be said Axminster's idea of Black Friday is a little reserved.

Some total reduction on the 1221VS?

£8.

Yes £8 on a lathe costing almost £1000.

Not to mention the fact Jet upped prices last year when previously, most places had it for 750-800.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

£8 discount !?!?! Thats rubbish for a Black Friday deal. I've had a look for some Black Friday deals on lathes but nothing !! Wouldn't it be nice if Robust did a 70% discount for Black Friday. :D

Fire_frogs":2bdchf3p said:
£8 discount !?!?! Thats rubbish for a Black Friday deal. I've had a look for some Black Friday deals on lathes but nothing !! Wouldn't it be nice if Robust did a 70% discount for Black Friday. :D

I got an email back from Axminster when I mentioned the small discount. They were kind enough to knock a modest sum off.

But... I still think it is crazy the prices Jet are charging in the UK. Even when you factor in exchange rates and local taxes.
Take this for example:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-1221vs-lathe

It is basically HALF the cost. That is price gouging. Nothing less.

I would ask that anyone considering a purchase of anything Jet challenge the supplier to feed back that what they are doing is not good.

It is basically an assumption on their part that customers don't look at what is going on in other markets, and they assume the UK market will just accept it.

Bodgers":22fb7fng said:
Fire_frogs":22fb7fng said:
Take this for example:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-1221vs-lathe
It is basically HALF the cost. That is price gouging. Nothing less.
No.

Lets get the facts right.

Wood craft charge $815.99 for that lathe which at todays exchange rate works out at £614.30
Shipping in the US is another $95 which would work out at £71.50
Neither of those prices include sales tax, so UK VAT adds 20% so £737.40 and shipping at £85.80. So if you neededed the lathe shipping to home address in the US it would cost £823.20 plus any local sales tax.

Axminster sell for £956.50 and offer free shipping.

Even if you were local enough to collect it at no cost, it would still not be half the price.

I am not taking about shipping it to the UK. I think you misunderstand. And your numbers are off.

Mearly pointing out that in the US it IS substantially cheaper, if buying it over there. In the US sales tax is around 10% (some states are less, others are zero).

Current Woodcraft price is actually 693 USD. With US delivery and say 8% sales tax, that's around 840USD, which is 634 GBP at today's rates. Significantly less than 950-1000 GBP here.

And, no they aren't built in the US to begin with, so they will be coming out of a factory in Asia to a distribution centre in either Europe or the US anyway...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodgers":3dwlbuzk said:
I am not taking about shipping it to the UK.
Nor was I. That is the flat rate shipping charge in within the USA Woodcraft charge.
And your numbers are off.
Straight off the web site and currency conversion from XE.com today.
Current Woodcraft price is actually 693 USD.
Really ? not on the page you've linked to.
1221.jpg

So like for like without tax; US £614 + £71, in the UK £797 but with free shipping.

Nowhere half the cost any way you look at it.
Let's stop knocking UK businesses. Land and property prices in the UK are higher and they have to charge a higher sales tax because we expect (and get more) from our taxes than the US.

Attachments

• 1221.jpg
    1221.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,392
It states 693 USD for me - I am logged in, so that may account for it. Looking on amazon.com you can get it for 693 usd and free shipping. It is a significant difference.

I'm not knocking UK business, it is international companies like Jet that are the issue. Axminster have said themselves margins are tight on the supplier rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, BF was a damp squib, so my next question is that do the likes of record ever have a sale? as its that time of year or am i just going to have to suck it up and pay full price. buying expensive stuff doesnt come naturally when you are as tight as a ducks bum.

Back