Black filler.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
No, it's not for bog oak. I want to experiment with a contrasting filler in oak, so I'm after something that is pitch black. Anyone got any good ideas?

I’ve had good results with mixing colourants sold to mix into mortar and adding those to epoxy. If you have old laser printer cartridges , there is usually a bit of toner left inside. This works too.

araldite is an adhesive not a filler, it shrinks. not good.
you can buy pigments for epoxy or polyester resin, normally in teeny tiny pots that cost the earth. I've seen good results with carbon black used as a pigment and that can be made yourself (charcoal and a pesel and mortar) you can get a small tin of resin from any autobody store (even helfrauds) for cheap and have a play with it.

you can also buy stuff like Sugru (meant to be an adhesive but it's got all sort of filling agents in it) that's like an epoxy clay. it can be purchased in black.

we used to mix carbon black in with plaster of paris to change the colour, have not tried it with other fillers but it could work.

Araldite syringe (standard, blue and black packet) did not sand down for me. It dries slightly rubbery when cured, not rock hard like other epoxies.

Indian ink is water proof, if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

novocaine":k00srjza said:
..... Sugru (meant to be an adhesive but it's got all sort of filling agents in it) that's like an epoxy clay. it can be purchased in black........

Again, I'm not sure how well that would go with a finish.

it shouldn't be any different to epoxy with a finish. I haven't tried it though so can't comment on that one.

thats the stuff I couldn't remember the name of. Cheers Tris, milliput and sugru are basically the same stuff.

I used pound shop epoxy and instant coffee to fill pippy oak, I tried araldite but it went off as I mixed the coffee in!

Toner is very very fine, we have special vacume cleane at work to clean up toner spills, normal ones the toner goes through the bag/filter and settles on every surface.

Pete

Pete

novocaine":6ho16c9u said:
it shouldn't be any different to epoxy with a finish. I haven't tried it though so can't comment on that one.
I've used it (Sugru), it's nothing like epoxy.
It's a single part synthetic rubber. It cures to a soft rubber consistency. You cannot sand it, if you try it will peel off (by design).

novocaine":6ho16c9u said:
thats the stuff I couldn't remember the name of. Cheers Tris, milliput and sugru are basically the same stuff.
Milliput and Sugru are nothing alike (I have used both), nor are they intended to be. Sugru by its own description is: A flexible, adhesive repair putty that sets strong by turning into a durable silicone rubber.

My suggestion would be epoxy with something very black mixed in. Epoxy shouldn't shrink - if it does that's an odd formula.
I have used epoxy pigment in epoxy and it worked a charm, I'm not sure if you can get it in small quantities though. I could bag you up a bit and post it if you wanted though.

fair enough, thanks for the information Rich. I've never used Sugru (as already suggested) and obviously confused it with Milliput. neither of which are applicable as you've pointed out. now I need to work out what I have used that sets rock hard and was black.

If its small amounts to fill you could try super glue.....on accelerator!

Ive not personally tryed tinting it, but would try adding a little Chinese black ink.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Milliput is very good. I have used it extensively on terracotta and stonework repairs. You can get various colours, including black, it does not shrink, it dries rock hard and will sand ultra smooth with no bubbles (unlike Araldite). And its cheap.

If you have Cascamite, try mixing a few drops of stain in with the powder before the water.

I use Light Fast Spirit stains, despite seemingly incompatible, the volatiles evaporate rapidly and don't appear to affect the final bond significantly.

AJB Temple":3po7an4q said:
Milliput is very good..... You can get various colours......

I can't find a nice blue. It would be good to have a royal blue for use with bog oak, but they only seem to do a turquoise.

Back