Black Epoxy Tile Grout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some black epoxy tile grout to finish my granite tile worktop.
The only type I can find is white or grey. :(
I have experimented mixing some liquid black cement dye with the grey epoxy but is unsatisfactory. A powder pigment would probably work but where do I get some from? Any suggestions where I can source either some black epoxy grout or a black powder pigment would be much appreciated by me (even more by Mrs Woodshavings!)
Thanks
John

I used black silicone on our granite worktop. After 2 years, all's well.

Noel

Thanks Noel,

Using black silicone is my plan B - I have tried some and it looks fine but was a bit worried if it would stand up to the scrubbing etc the worktop will get.

John

John, it seems ok. Believe me it's been given a severe workout (like about 15 times a day....) in our kitchen. We also have a couple of slabs of granite each side of the cooker (oil fired, always on) and I put a lot of silicone there and it seems to be standing up well. Worth a try and I guess it wouldn't be the hardest thing to remove if you didn't like it.

Noel

seem to remember, prior to te terriible "john's workshop", there was "the house john rebuilt" - in that, they installed a kitchen with Aga (or rayburn), granite worktops, and just used regular black silcone everywhere. Granite tiles on a diifferent base would probably move more than solid granite, but should do.

Also, kitchen i had installed in last house just used black silicone to seal the under-surface-mounted sink against the granite work top. Not sure what they used to join the 3 slabs of solid granite at corners, but it too looked like a silicone sealant.

An artists' supply shop is the place to get black (and any other colour) pigment, Check your yellow pages or there must be umpteen on-line sources.
I use a hot air gun to warm epoxies and lower their viscosity. This will also speed the curing process.
I've not experimented with purpose made epoxy tile grout yet, but when I am using araldite to repair stuff I use a hot air gun to drive out the air bubbles and get a stronger, better looking joint

John

If you speak nicely to UK marble in Hereford I'm sure that they will tell you where they get their black two-part epoxy stuff from. They used it on the black granite worktop in our kitchen. They actually did an excellent job.

Sorry but don't have their number to hand.

We used it on our worktop, you buy it as black power, (like from the chimney), you mix it with white grout, and then you have your black grout, - you can also mix it with the epoxy grout, which is needed for worktops

Our tiller also recommended this,

Any tile shop (GOOD TILE SHOP) can supply you with it

Back