Black & Decker workmates (or not)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have long been a fan of the old B&D workmate

My father bought me one in about 1970, which is still going strong and has been used frequently since I got it

A while back I saw a cheapie version in Aldi being sold for a tenner, so got one to save carting the B&D version to some places, the B&D version being rather heavy and far more robust than the lightweight Aldi version, which I have seen under different badges for a heck of a lot more than I paid (Aldi usually sell them for £15)

I also use the Aldi version as the base for a craft show table with the addition of a spare Ikea table top, so it gets well used

What made me post was that I chuckled when I saw an advert for two "Black & Decker workmates" which neither are, but what amused me was one was put together back to front and part upside down, how could you get something that wrong I wonder ;-) (no instructions I suppose) but if you have one, wouldn't you just copy that?

Attachments

• Clip99.jpg
    Clip99.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 486
whatknot":xog0wohp said:
What made me post was that I chuckled when I saw an advert for two "Black & Decker workmates" which neither are, but what amused me was one was put together back to front and part upside down, how could you get something that wrong I wonder ;-) (no instructions I suppose) but if you have one, wouldn't you just copy that?
You had ONE Job! :lol:

I've got an old cast aluminium one which I inherited from my father, no idea on the age of it but I presume somewhere in the 70s to 80s. A great thing when you need it and much more sturdy compared to their sheet metal counterparts.

Mine is just the single level version but substantially more robust and solid than the later cheapie versions

I think I have just about had my dads moneys worth out it after nearly 50 years use

The one I have seems to be exactly the same as the one on the left.

I have also set mine up the same way :oops: I have to say though that with mine it was the only way it would attach unless I drilled extra holes.

Have to say it's a right old load of rubbish.

I would agree thats its a very poor piece of kit when compared to the B&D versions

But I find it comes in handy, as I said for craft shows, its nice and light and folds flat, I also use it for a temporary table for doing parcels etc

Worth ten quid, but certainly no more than that

My late work colleague and friend (John Alcock, from Upton upon Severn) had an original Ron Hickman workmate circa 1967 when Ron was selling them at trade shows.
I found it so useful when working with John on various extra curricular projects that I bought one of the first B& D units as soon as I could save up enough spare cash (1972?).
Sadly it finally came to the end of a sensible user life about six years ago when one of the 'Y' castings/mouldings gave up the ghost, a horizontal bottom casting having been replaced with steel tube some years ago.

I suspect the cheapies sold in many places today are unlikely to still be usable in a fraction of the time the more sturdy work mates are

I have one of the original twin level workmates and one of the later single height ones. WHY dont they match in height?? the twin is too high in one postion and too low in the other!!Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Trevanion":2n2pg551 said:
whatknot":2n2pg551 said:
You had ONE Job! :lol:

I've got an old cast aluminium one which I inherited from my father, no idea on the age of it but I presume somewhere in the 70s to 80s. A great thing when you need it and much more sturdy compared to their sheet metal counterparts.

I bought mine in 1979 - so your dating is spot on.

Brian

I like them, have got 4 in total.

An old 3?? that is sturdy and heavy, a modern 8?? dual height that is ok and offers a large working area and I have 2 modern 3?? that were £7 each in tesco on clearance, I use them as a pair instead of saw horses, much more versatile.

Is yours a black and decker badged version?

I have seen a B&D version that does look very flimsy compared to the older ones WM301 at about £30+ doesn't look much better than the Aldi version

I guess B&D have to try and compete with the cheapies

I have my grandad's cast aluminium one. I love it - it's currently holding the table from my deckel milling machine while I paint it.

whatknot":1gdycjzh said:
Is yours a black and decker badged version?

I have seen a B&D version that does look very flimsy compared to the older ones WM301 at about £30+ doesn't look much better than the Aldi version

I guess B&D have to try and compete with the cheapies
Yes, B&D badged. Got it second hand for a tenner so can't complain really.

Latest posts

Back