Black & Decker KR2000K Drill/Driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
5-picture.jpg

I haven't purchased a Black & Decker power tool for over ten years. Times have changed and now tools that wouldn't look out of place in a Star Wars movie are appearing thick and fast from the B&D production lines. I wanted a small, easy to handle mains powered drill/screwdriver preferably with a keyless chuck and forward-reverse option. I found exactly that in the B&D KR2000K. It uses a hex-lock chuck which accepts the many hex-lock accessories available to buy from major tool suppliers. You do not need to use a hex-lock adapter with the B&D KR2000K. You simply insert the hex-lock bit into the chuck until it clicks into position, no need to tighten the chuck making it a good tool for those with disabilities. This tool uses only hex-lock bits however a chuck is available with hex-lock shank and will accept upto 6mm drill bits with standard smooth shanks.

I would rate this power tool as good for hobby/light trade use. Heavy, daily use would see it burn out very quickly but it is an ideal tool for the woodworking enthusiast and his/her projects. Very comfortable to hold with two handles, the second being the built-in D handle as well as the standard grip. Manual variable speed is provided by way of the users pressure on the power button. Lower pressure is required for screwdriving tasks increasing for drilling tasks, with adjustable torqe settings via a twist ring near to the chuck. The tool can be used on hard or soft woods, mild steel and light masonary. I wouldn't recommend using for masonary at all, leave that to a mains powered/battery powered drill that is designed for that use.

More details here: http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/B/DKR ... d=N9dPNsjm

Dog

Dog,

Interesting looking space ray gun there - I wonder what purpose the trigger guard serves?

One of my very best tools is this version of a screwdriver (cum drill but principally a screwdriver) http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tylertool/hiwh1hex9coi.html which I got at an Axminster show so it must be available in this country despite my inability to find a website for it.

It will drive a 10mm framing anchor into brick or concrete and yet will also work to fix a hinge in a jewellery box. A battery charge lasts forever and is renewed in about half an hour - it comes with two batteries. Mine is actually a 12v model although it looks like the 9.6 version pictured in the url above. It was expensive but it beats any other cordless (not counting neander tools of course!) that I have ever owned.

I think, Chris, the 'trigger guard' is B&D's version of an additional handle ;)
I agree, that Hitachi looks the business but I was looking for a low cost mains powered rather than battery powered drill/driver and that's why I chose the B&D. So far, 8 months in use, it's done everything very well and hopefully it'll continue to do so for a while yet :)

Latest posts

Back