Black and Gold Lidded Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my colouring hat back on :D This is an Ash hollow form of 6" height with a Beech lid and Sycamore finial. The form has been ebonised and then a gold gilt cream rubbed in to the open grain with a hand buffed wax finish. The lid is sprayed gold and the finial ebonised.

blackngold006.jpg

Comments and critiques are as always most welcome :)

JT

Looks stunning and if it is an urn Im sure someone would thier ashes ending up in a beautiful object like that :D

Now then Johnny i do like that :shock: :shock: :lol:
Only thing i would say is the finial in the middle looks a little too bulbous,but apart from that i really do like it :D

Hi JT,

Another lovely, delicate piece.

How did you find working with the Sycamore for the finial? It looks like a very nice wood for retaining sharp, crisp detail J.

How high did you go on the grits when sanding the Ash?

Cheers,

Lee.

Like it!

No jokes about how much does a grecian 'earn' or stuff like that, although I too have wondered where the expression hollow form came from. I tend to agree that its not exactly descriptive as, already mentioned, it would describe lots of things, including the wine glass that I have just emptied - again.

How do you 'ebonise' something? I keep seeing the phrase. Ink, paint or what?

Nice work! Although I agree that the finial is a little top heavy. And it looks a little fragile for what is a quite robust form. And perhaps the main form could be a little narrower at the bottom?

I wonder if it might be worth making another one with the colours reversed. I think it may be more natural to have the dark at the bottom and a paler colour at the top, perhaps suggesting years of handling. What do you think?

But my, aren't I picky! It's really good.

Terry
http://www.turnedwoodenbowls.com

In our club monthly competitions, a hollow form is defined as having the entry hole not more than 1/3rd the diameter of the piece so technically this would be classed as a hollow form with lid and finial. Doesn't really matter does it? It's a beautiful piece well worked and finished. I have gilt stuff. liming wax etc etc and haven't got to use it yet. As soon as I have time to play I really want to and will be more than happy if I achieve this quality of finish.

pete

Thankyou everyone for your input, its much appreciated :) With regards to the finial,its not so much too bulbous in the middle,its more a case of the 'spheroid' below being too small, I'll have to do a finial redo!

skeetoids":2y6l78x9 said:
How did you find working with the Sycamore for the finial? It looks like a very nice wood for retaining sharp, crisp detail J.

How high did you go on the grits when sanding the Ash?

Sycamore isn't the best for finials as it is a bit weak when really thin but a small piece was at hand when I came to do the finial :oops:

Most stuff I sand down to 400 grit, one exception is Yew which I find needs to be sanded down to 600-800 to get a fine looking finish.

Finial":2y6l78x9 said:
And perhaps the main form could be a little narrower at the bottom?

Terry,the wideness of the lower section of the form was an experiment/exploration of the shape and the effect of the changed curve of the base which comes from this,interesting that you picked up on that, I thought it had worked rather well :lol:

JT

Back