Black and Decker Jobber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Some 20-odd years ago I bought my father, a keen DIYer, a Black and Decker Jobber for a Christmas present, which I have since inherited.

The Jobber was basically a workmate without legs - it had rubber suction cups on the underside to sit on a bench. It wasn't a great tool to be used every day, but there are some jobs where it excelled.

I use this occasionally when I'm working on doors, as I can stand it on the floor and secure the door whilst I work on the hinges and door catch. Problem is, I could do with two of these jobbers, one at each end of the door, but they don't appear to make them any more (leastways, I couldn't find any online catalogues with them in).

Anyone know of a similar device?

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Belated welcome to the forum!
For working on a door edge for hinges/morticing I use a very simple device that works so well it's hardly worth spending money on any kind of vice!
I use a length of 3x2 about 3' long with a dado/housing cut across the middle. The housing is about half the depth of the timber and about 70mm wide. One side of the housing is cut at an angle (about 15º)
I have a corresponding wedge (nice and chunky!) cut to the same angle that is kept handy by attaching it to the 3x2 with some rope.
You''ll need a pair of these jigs.
Plonk them on the floor about 6' apart, drop the door edge down into the housing and knock the wedges in until it's snug.
It holds the door nice and secure. It's cheap, quick and portable.
An improvement would be to glue some felt or similar onto one side of the wedges and housings to protect the door.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Aragorn!

I've been toying with a similar idea, but I had the jobber in my garage and it seemed a shame to waste something so useful.

Maybe I should just saw the legs off a regular workmate :)

Andrew

Hi, there is a B&D jobber on ebay today. Chris.
I found your message whilst trying to find out what a "jobber" was.

I use my jobber as a holder for routing. With its holes and pegs you can hold all shapes really well and the surface is clear for moving the router freely.

Back