Bit stuck in Collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Any ideas of how to get a 1/2" bit that's jammed in the collet out?

Both the Router (Trend T9) and the cutters are brand new, and this was the first time I have used them. I used it for two minutes, then went to change the cutter and cannot get it out.

I was thinking of stripping the router to gain access to the top of the armature shaft, to try and drift it out from the top, but the armature shaft is only hollow for the first inch. the rest is solid, so it would achieve nothing by stripping it.

The only other thing is to sacrifice the bit by cutting it of and trying to drill it out, although this will probably destroy the collet. Also the steel will be hard as iron to drill and will probably cause the drill bit to skid and be impossible.

Two minutes use from new, and I think it is destroyed...Great!

Got it !

I used an old trick for pulling layshaft's out of engine cases on bikes.

Tie a piece of small rope around it, tie the other end round a tree and give a couple of smart jerks.

Always does the trick.

Hi Spud, I presume you loosened the collet fully? You have to undo it, it then goes free but if you keep turning you will feel resistance again, loosen it past this and the cutter should fall out. This is a safety feature to prevent the cutter falling out if the collet nut becomes loose. Sorry if this was obvious to you.

John

Spud, can't you unscrew the collet to get it out of the router?
If you can then all you need is a small screwdriver or similar to push the cutter out from the thread end.
We did this to remove cutters from collets on milling machines for yonks.

The T9, one of the 2 best routers on the market, comes with a device for centering the guide bush holder. The device has a 1/2" and 12mm stepped shaft. I made the mistake of tightening the 1/2" collet onto the 12mm part. The next 1/2" cutter I fitted jammed, and I had to wind the collet nut right off and use hammer and screwdriver to drift out the collet and cutter to release it. After that I refitted the collet and there has been no further problem

Well this was the thing, I un-did the collet nut and it just kept on un-doing and un-doing until it fell of the threads, without releasing the tension on the collet. Even though the nut was completely un-done, the bit was still gripped firmly.

I do know what it was now. Before you push the collet into the armature shaft, it is absolutely essential to first push the nut onto the collet (you will hear it click, as it engages) Then and only then, do you push the collet into the shaft and put the nut on the threads.

I had presumed this was already done on the router, but in hindsight I should have checked first.

Anyway, since I managed to get the jammed cutter out, I made damn sure the nut was clicked onto the collet before pitting a new cutter in and trying again. Anyway it works right, now.

By clicking the nut onto the collet, is what gives you the second tightness as you undo the nut, which is what releases the cutter.

What a sketch!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

"The T9, one of the 2 best routers on the market..."

And the other one being...?? Just curious, John.

Noel, slowly winding his neck in....

Noely":3pa0io05 said:
"The T9, one of the 2 best routers on the market..."

And the other one being...?? Just curious, John.

Well, I guess that would have to be the Festo OF1400 (lighter than the OF2000 but enough power for just about anything router-wise). I haven't really done much with mine yet as I use the T9 for worktops, the plunge depth mechanism of which is superb, accurate and very fast as well as being very easy to read.
I'm really getting into this Festo stuff, next purchase is probably going to be one of their jigsaws

John

Spud":3nehhgii said:
Well this was the thing, I un-did the collet nut and it just kept on un-doing and un-doing until it fell of the threads, without releasing the tension on the collet. Even though the nut was completely un-done, the bit was still gripped firmly.

If the nut fell off and the collet is still tight, then I suspect that the circlip has come off the collet. The circlip is the key element when undoing the collet and without it the thing just won't undo.
This happended to me once.
Check for a grove in the collet where the circlip should sit - if there is an empty groove, then get on your hands and knees and find the circlip!! :wink: OR contact the distributor and demand a new collet ASAP

Back