Bit of a bonus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
After work this morning & having read about powder metal in the "new veritas chisels" thread, i paid a visit to an old retired friend whose work encompassed such things.
What i learned about PM was very similar to what Tony Zaffuto has posted in that thread, so i wont repeat that, but at the conclusion of our conversation & a few cups of coffee, i was invited up to the old boys workshop to take a look at "something you might like".

& the old boy was right again, i very much liked what i saw.
Bonus002.jpg

Bonus003.jpg

Bonus001.jpg

This Stanley No 50 plough plane was the old boys dads, it`s stamped 02,with" made in eng" embossed on it, now to my shame :oops: this is not a plane i`ve come across before, so, as I'm now the proud owner, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it would be & any other info?

Cheers.

Have a look at Alf's web page at Cornish Central - sure be something there?
I have a Record 50C which is not rated that good?

Rod

That's a Stanley #50 combinbation plane, Doug. The main point to remember is that the cutters are honed at 35 degrees. Best to stick to that so as to maintain the shape of the beading cutters.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Doug B":94afgtsv said:
Bonus002.jpg

.... was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it would be & any other info?
I can't quite tell from you photo whether this one is fitted with a depth adjuster lever (for some reason I can't open a larger view of the photos ATM). I can see slots in the underside of the cutter in the plane, and wonder if that's a stray cutter from a Record #044.

As others have said: Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore for a history; and Alf's Combiplane Central for use and helpful hints.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated.

Vann":3019gsn0 said:
I can see slots in the underside of the cutter in the plane, and wonder if that's a stray cutter from a Record #044.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann all the cutters have slots,

bonus006.jpg

Cheers.

Doug B":466kss5x said:
Vann all the cutters have slots,

bonus006.jpg
Okay. One thing for sure - they're not all Record 044 cutters, so it's reasonable to assume they're a set of Stanley cutters (like it says on the box :oops: ) for a later #50 - with depth adjuster lever. If your #50 has said lever, then you're in business.

Nice plane BTW.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks again Vann.

The logical think to have done was to take a close up photo of the other side of the plane when i took the photo of the cutters out of the box last night, but logic & red wine don`t go together #-o

So i the cold light of day, another shot

bonus001-1.jpg

I can see the lever you refer to, i can also see a morning of cleaning & sharpening beckoning, perhaps another strong coffee first.

Cheers.

Doug,

In case you are wondering, that long screw that you can see sticking out in the last photo is to help keep the moveable skate parallel with the fixed one. Once you have the blade fitted and the plane all set up, do up the screw so that it is just touching the body of the plane.

Paul

Vann":w0053rs1 said:
(for some reason I can't open a larger view of the photos ATM). I.......
If you browser is blocking the image link (I.E.?)

Try dragging the image to your desktop and double clicking it to open it up from there, if the image is not much larger than already displayed at least you can increase the magnification which may help, dependant on the resolution.

Doug,

I'm an 'old-boy', at 72. :mrgreen:

My old Dad was born in 1906 and started work 13-14 years later! He wasn't a woodworker, but does that put you in the right ball-park for assessing the age of this plane?

John :wink:

Nice bonus. As for dating, the earliest it could be would be 1935, as that's when Stanley started production in England.

Thanks chaps.

Paul,

I was wondering what that long screw was for, thanks & as Dave L pointed out I'm missing the depth stop, but i should be able to make one of them.

I sharpened up a few of the cutters at the weekend, they were originally ground at 30 degrees, so i repeated this angle & then did as you suggested & honed at 35 degree.

Doing this finally made use of the Kell jig i bought quite a while ago, i struggle holding very small things, problem with my fingers, so had bought the jig to enable me to sharpen small blades but i found the 2 register pins too far apart for what i wanted it for.

Ive solved this problem by making a friction fit brass plate, it allows me to align small blades square, but should i need to i can remove it easily.

003-23.jpg

With the small bead cutter fitted i had a first go on a piece of oak, it formed quite a nice bead but i did get some break out from the edge of the cutter, it was at this point i realised what the spur was for shown in the first picture, unfortunately as shown in that picture one of the spurs is missing.
I fitted the spur, altered the cut so it was cutting off the edge of the timber so wouldn`t break out on the left hand side & the result was the right hand piece in the photo below. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

002-21.jpg

The plane works a treat, just need to make a second spur & it will be ready for action, though i don`t think i`ll be getting rid of my 1010Q just yet :D

Cheers

You can buy those spurs on FleaBay...they come up quite often....

Great bit of fettling mate...I love those planes...got to get an old No46 back again one day....

Jim

I like that modification you made to the Kell honing guide, Doug. Very nifty.

If you have any problems honing the shaped part of the beading cutters, I've found that MDF wheels, shaped with a rasp, work well. Just run them on a slow speed in an electric drill and free-hand the blade, with a bit of honing compound on the wheel.

Honing1.jpg

Alternatively, if you have a Tormek with the narrow leather wheels, they work well. Or you can make up MDF wheels to fit the Tormek.

Paul

Thanks Jim, I`ll have a look at e-bay.

Nice tip paul, i`d used a fine diamond file, but i know how excellent cutting paste & MDF is for chisels etc, so I can imagine your disc will give great results.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back