Bit for routing circles ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that I've got the means to accurately rout a circle which bit do you recommend is best. The router is 1/4", the wood is 20mm thick, larch or pine, any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

As you have only got a 1/4" router, to avoid putting undue strain on the motor I would go for a 1/4 or 6mm x 25mm bit. Normal TCT should be OK as you are obviously not after the best possible finish and a little tear out can be accepted.

Jason

As Jason says because you are only using a 1/4" router avoid putting undue strain on the motor by using a 1/4 or 6mm bit. Again as you are using a small router and the wood is 20mm thick do not try to cut through it in 1 pass, take at least 2 passes.

If you want to stop any tear out put a scrap piece of wood underneath the good one.

It may look like i am trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but you did ask for any tips. Sorry.

Have a nice crimbo.

Regards

Woody

Upcut spiral bit works well.

Noel

Woodythepecker":1nckukg6 said:
It may look like i am trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but you did ask for any tips. Sorry.

Have a nice crimbo.

Regards

Woody

Quite right too and one of my many New Year resolutions is to learn how to suck eggs :D

Thanks all. Reading through I think I'll use my 1/2" router, I thought that the quarter inch would be OK but obviously I'll possibly be pushing my luck and it'll give me a chance to try it out :wink: I've got a solid tungsten 6mm twin flute straight bit, could I use this ?

Back