biscuits or lapped joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i want to construct some mobile tool stands/ cabinets for a bench sander and bench pillar drill .I thinking of using 18mm ply and wonder if it be stronger using a glued half lap joint (hope thats the right terminology) or would several biscuits be just as strong?, say 4 no10's over a length of 450mm.
many thanks dave

Dave,

About 20 years ago, I used double, No.10 Biscuits to join 75 mm square legs to 70mm x 30mm stiles and stretchers. The six foot bench was for a Coronet Major lathe/combo machine. A heavy beast made from solid cast iron and steel. That is on castors that are soft and too small, so it's had a lot of mauling about over a rough concrete floor. It's still tight and in use now as a temporary mitre saw bench. if I made it again with biscuits, I would go up to No. 20s. But the replacement is going to have through, wedged, M & Ts. Mainly because I feel like doing them!
I think for your sander and Bench drill, biscuits would be okay. If you are nervous, maybe add some Kreg screws; or suitable ordinary screws if you don't have a Kreg Jig. On the other hand you could make the cabinet frame and panel. That would last you for ever. But I think you'll be okay with biscuits.

HTH :D

Latest posts

Back