Biscuit Jointers (plate Jtrs.)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74extiger

Established Member
Reaction score
In the UK, both Bosch and Maffel are advertised. How good are they? I live in the states, but the 220v issue doesn't matter to me.

The Lamello is simply too expensive. One of your wood magazines just did a test and praised the SIC, but I don't see that brand advertised at Axeminster. How does the SIC stand up against the Bosch and Maffel, and who sells them online?

Gary Curtis
California :shock:

You probably misread the name
It was probably the SIP http://www.sip-group.com/ who have only started producing woodworking machines for a couple of years.
They have made industrial comressors and generators for many years though.
You will have problems with any motors in UK made tools because one country uses 50 cycle and the other 60 cycle electricity.

The increase to 60 cycles from 50 would cause a 20% speed up of the cutter blade. I don't worry about that with a tool like this. I think it would be a problem with drills, sawblades and routers.

I'm looking to tools in the UK because I find the American versions lacking. The lower grade Lamello sells here for nearly double the price of Freud, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Makita. And those brands all have some important shortcomings.

I thought the Bosch might at least offer some improvements. And, sorry about the spelling of the SIP. The article in Traditional Woodworking gives it praise, but makes it clear that it is a low-level product.

Gary in California

HI 74extiger,

I have been using power tools from over there in the states for six or seven years and I have not encounted any speed or motor issues from using your voltages. I buy them from a supplier called coastal tool in Conneticut and i've had drills, saw's, compressors, biscuit jointer,sanders and loads other stuff. Now, on the biscuit jointer. The SIP your refering to is a low end market tool hence the price and we also have to pay double for the lammello as these are top end, although the cheapest lammello is around £230. I have the Dewalt which is from over there and find it good and accurate. I also use the Bosch and Makita at work, the Makita seems a little underpowered and when using the Bosch, I have noticed the fence can move under pressure. I think the best one for you to go for would be the Porter cable, i've never heard a bad word said against it and wish I had of gone for that one.

cheers,
jonny.

Back