Biscuit Jointer - What to get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danilo

Reaction score
Hi board,

I can't decide what to get ](*,) . Here are the choices ( pro tools I can get here locally):

1. DeWalt DW682K
2. Makita 3901
3. Bosch GFF 22A
4. AEG LF650

Precision of joint(fence) is of the paramount importance, than the build quality and durability.

Any input is aprecciated

Cheers

I can't comment on the choices in particular, but reckon its well worth while going and seeing them in the flesh in a shop, Whilst a precise fence makes a big difference, being able to hold it comfortably and easily makes more of a difference IMHO. E.g. if the barrel of the body is too big to hold easily you won't manage precise cuts regardless.

The Mafell is my suggestion, much preferred that style of fence*, and it is reasonabl-ish-ly priced for a premium quality jointer.

*Based on playing with a few in D&M, rather than extensive hands-on use of both types.

Danilo

FWIW I would recommend you go for the Porta Cable, IMHO its the best on the market and probably the most expensive.

I have had mine for about 7 years and it is still going strong.

Of those you mention, I'd go for the Makita - it's a nicely-built machine and fairly close in style to a Lamello Classic for about £60 less (Axminster). It's got a nice slim motor body, which makes for easy plunging in both horizontal and vertical use. Bin the dust bag - all they do is clog up the tool after a few cuts, then you've got to pick bits out of the slots - use it "naked" as a last resort, but preferably fit a DC to it (see here for further info).

That said, I've only tried one a couple of times and still prefer my Lamello. :)

Ray.

I suggest to go with the Mafell, if would by this machine over and over again. (that is just a figure of speach :wink: ) they are really good, and like Jake said. the fence is excellent (yes its more expensive, but you only buy one once :p )

McLuma

Welcome to the forum, Danilo. My only experience is with the Porter Cable, so I'm no help I'm afraid.

Have a heart guys; no good suggesting brands he can't get! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hey,

Thanks for response!

I'm afraid that abovementioned companies (models) are my only choice at the moment - not to mention Einhell :roll: ; Official distribution for PC, Maffel and Lamello is not available here at the moment and I'm not going to get a tool with no local service and support.

I'm leaning towards Makita; I've had great experience with their equipment in the past (jigsaws, circular saws ...).

However, DeWalt does feel great in my hands but searching around net I've found a couple of not so favorable user comments regarding fence and general precision of the joints ...

AEG support here is great, and I have a feeling that LF650 will last and last ..., but the price is the highest of the bunch!

desicions, desicions ...

Thanks again,
Danilo

I don't use my DW biscuit joiner as much as the professional woodworkers here, but I've always been very happy with its performance. I've never encountered any problems with the fence or precision of cut.

Gill

Guilty of the same crime!

The AEG has the Mafell style post fence, which I think is a better design.

I have the DW - use it most days - find it excellent except that dust control could be improved. Needs to be hooked up to DX because the bag is a waste of cloth.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry from my part too (didn't see location)

BUT

Service!!!!!

Sorry to say, but so far non of my tools have ever packed up and needed service.

That is whole idea of buying good quality stuff.

It never ever has crossed my mind wenn buying tools ( i have bought tools all over the world - personally and over the web) that i thoughed about servicing problems

Take this into account, you have access to the web and with that you can outsearch / strech the boundries of your local suppliers

McLuma

I have the DW and I can't see anything wrong with, in fact I'm quite impressed with it.

I have the Elu (same as DW but in grey) and it is a fine jointer. Like Tim said, you do need a vacuum on it, or any biscuit joiner I guess, the bag fills up too fast otherwise.

HI,

I have the Dewalt and use the Makita and Bosch at work. The DW in my experience is a good solid and accurate tool. The Makita is a lower powered machine and I find that it struggles in hard woods when plunging to size 20. The Bosch is a good tool but the fence does wander under pressure. Hope this helps.

cheers,
jonny.

Hi, I'm new here. Looking forward to some helpful and productive exchanges, although I may be mostly asking for advice!

N'theless... I'm having exactly the same debate about which biscuit jointer to buy. Seems as though I may well have read the same articles and critiques of the various machines as the original poster too!

The SIP came out of a review (when compared to some more expensive machines, such as the DeWalt and AEG) as unsurpassed value for money; however, I feel at odds with buying cheap tools. I love a bargain but just can't trust that the SIP can be as good as the reckon for £60. Has anyone any experience of this particular machine?

I've also spotted a Lamello for sale too recently (secondhand). However, it's described as a Top 10 and about 6 years old. It's also Green (body) with a Gold fence which makes me suspicious that it may not be all that it seems. Aren't Lamello's Red? Has anyone ever come across one of these and, if you have, do the compete with todays jointers?

Final thought... The DeWalt DW685K is a machine that I had the pleasure of borrowing (albeit in Elu clothes). It was good and accurate to use, however, I only did a couple of joints and don't have anything to compare it to. I've noticed that it is significantly more expensive than the more normal DW682K and, whilst I appreciate it cuts grooves too, I cannot understand why such a big price difference? I'd be interested in view on this too.

Sorry, a lot of questions and I feel a bit bad at perhaps having hijacked this thread? I hope that Danilo find any feedback to my questions useful too.

Cheers

I'd go for Makita.

Be very wary of things in yellow skirts. When dewalt took over elu, they just used the elu parts in a yellow case. Then Black and decker came along and took over dewalt and the elu parts started to run dry, and so over the last few years, the quality of there tools has started to fall.

Got so bad that of all the major power tool companies, dewalt have the most tools coming back for warranty repairs. Some of there stuff is good (saws etc, what they made there name with) but be carefull of other stuff.

Matt (selling over 20 pro brand power tools).

Latest posts

Back