Biscuit jointer fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of reassurance that I haven't got the wrong end of the stick about the designs of biscuit jointers.

Let me explain, I've got a Ferm £40 one and I'm intending to upgrade at the weekend, since I have a project requiring some pretty close tolerance mitred biscuit joints.

Now it would appear to me that ther are two basic designs. One has a hingeing plate just above the blade slot, which takes an additional height adjustable fence. Examples are the Freud, Trend and Lamello.

The other has a fixed plate (dewalt) or bars(Ferm, Mafell) with height adjusting racks. Onto that fits an angle adjusting fence with pinions to move up and down the fixed racks.

The first design seems like it will allow the fence to go from 90 degrees to about 180 degrees, so that if cutting slots in the end grain of a mitre the fence would lie against the outside face of the board. If you wanted to lie the angled fence against the inside face, then you'd actually take off the adjustable fence and use the angled plate. But that seems to mean that you then can't adjust the position (height) of the slot (as opposed to the depth).

I understande the operation of the second design, because that's what I have. It's limitation is that you can't lie the fence against the outside face, because you can't get the fence to make an acute angle with the blade slot face.

Can anyone with a Freud, Trend, Makita or Lamello (or Bosch or whatever) that is the first type tell me if I've got it wrong?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I have the Freud jointer (see my review here). So the first type in your question. If I've understood your question you're right - if you don't use the additional adjustable fence you can't change the height of the cut. For mitres I tend to use the small notch in the adjustable fence (see above review).

I'd never realised the two different systems - I have to say the system you have looks better! I find it quite fiddly setting the adjustable fence and getting it dead parallel to the blade. So hardly ever both - and use the sole plate of the jointer if I can.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks Gidon,

Useful to get some confirmation of my thoughts. I'm tending towards the DeWalt, which has the type 2 fence and thankfully a large squeeze trigger instead of the thumb switches on most grinder based jointers.

Anyone else got observations on this subject?

Cheers
Martyn

Hi Alf,

No not really, that's just a type 2, but with the worlds swankiest angle adjuster. Type two is where the height adjustment is "before" the angle adjust, i.e. you could remove the angle adjusting fence, and still have some bit of metal that could slide up and down to adjust the height.

That Porter Cable is so nice. Shame its 300 quid on super special web offer blah blah. Anyone seen it any cheaper? (best I've found is 253 from TopGun)

Martyn

My head still hurts. :roll:

Having been reminded how much the thing cost, my wallet also hurts too now. :cry: Plus Charley's banner ads aren't cooperating by showing the PC place (I don't want ******* Xpress Construction, dammit!). Off-hand you could see what price <choke>Rutlands</choke> and CSM Just Abrasives has on it, but it'll still be wallet-wincing I fear. Luvverly bit of kit though (and that's speaking as a hand tool nutter).

Okay, I took pity. CSM and a non-direct link to Porter Cable UK which appears to just beat the price although free biscuits are a nice deal sweetener.... Dunno about P&P and all that though.

Further addition, I now see your price beats 'em both. It truly is one of those days. :(

Cheers, Alf

clicks ahead of you Alf, the portercable uk price is without VAT, comes to the 300 quid price when you add the pain on. Hmm I wonder if TopGun do the case, they don't say so. I'll email them and find out.

Cheers

Martyn

Rattie":2s3clvhv said:
clicks ahead of you Alf
Yeah, so I figured. :roll: Makes the CSM deal pretty good then, with the biscuits too (including 175 of the small ones if it's the same deal we got waaay back). I know it says Flex, but it's identical, and we ended up with a grey PC one anyway. Don't sweat on the case btw; it's not that fabulous.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3meb6og4 said:
Don't sweat on the case btw; it's not that fabulous.

Can't be worse than the Trend T3 case, wher you have take the s***ing handles off to put the router away :roll:

Cheers
Martyn

Still waiting for news back from TopGun

Rattie":3cwypnhw said:
Can't be worse than the Trend T3 case, wher you have take the s***ing handles off to put the router away

Surely that should be s****ing, needing two consonants between the first and second vowels to keep the first vowel short?
John

Technically it should be either ******* or ********.

See what happens when I go and read the forum rules? I turn into some ghastly monster. I hope it wears off by tomorrow. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Gah!

Don't bother placing a web order for the Porter Cable/Flex as they don't have it stock, and are in the process of discontinuing it. TopGun are doing the honours now. Should be here tomorrow :D Woohoo!

Martyn

Of course this is just a reaction to not having space yet for the lovely TS4010ci we saw at D&M and Woodmex. Nice.

Read the December 'The Woodworker' magazine (out now) where they test 16 different plate jointers from the Ferm to the Lamello.
Ferm come out worst with the Lamello Top 20 the best.
The Axminster at £100 is recommended with a DeWalt at £170 as editors choice.

Latest posts

Back