Biscuit Jointer Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi
I have the cheap ferm Biscuit Jointer and for the price its not a bad tool.

The weakness for me is its dust extraction, even with a vac connected, most of the chippings get caught in the blade slot or jetted over me :shock:

So, @ sometime in the future I am looking to upgrade. I was thinking of a Makita but @ around £179 or so its a tad expensive.

Can anyone recommend a jointer which is good all-rounder but particularly good on extraction?

Bilzee

I know you are concerned about cost, but dare I recommene the Porta cable biscuit jointer, a tad more expensive than the mikita.

I have had one for about 5 years and its one of the best buys I've made, it has good dust extraction albeit into a bag. It also has the added advantage of different blades, this give you the option of using 00 biscuits for small work. :D

I think (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) its the only one on the market with different size blades. :?:

Very accurate and robust handtool, well worth saving up for.

I'd be interested if anyone else is using this tool and what their comments are.

Waka

Waka,

Yep, the PC/Flex is a nice bit of kit. I suppose you could argue it comes in somewhere between the main pack of Bosch/DeWally/Makita etc and the Lamellos. Total overkill for the hobbyist you could argue, but what a pleasure to use. :D And isn't that what hobbies are for? :wink: The fence is particularly good, allowing you to register on the face of the work for mitre joints without fuss. AFAIK it is the only one with two blade sizes. I've not used it for a while, but I can't recall being troubled by poor dust extraction, so it must be okay. Even the bag works pretty well, IIRC. Recommended, if you can swallow the price :?

Cheers, Alf

Bilzee,

I have the cheap ferm Biscuit Jointer as well. :D
I find that the dust port tends to clog on pine as the cutter produces what can be described as stringy bits which don't clear the small hole. :x
When I have used it on cherry, beech and mahogany I have had no problems as the wood cuts into dust not string. 8)

Bilzee - I have the Freud JS102 router. As you can read in the review - identical to the Trend T20 but a little cheaper. Should be able to get it for £100. Nice machine - the fence is a little clumsy but other than that I can't fault it. Don't use it an awful lot though!
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately dave I am invariably working with pine @ the mo

Gidon, the price you quote is excl VAT is it not?

Neil, I take it that 'excellent' includes extraction?

bilzee":2at11g2r said:
Unfortunately dave I am invariably working with pine @ the mo
Nothing wrong with that, most of what I make is pine. :)
I have only just started to try making things with hard wood. :p
If you get it from a timber supplier it is not that much dearer than pine and is easier to work with for some tasks. A nice suprise for me anyway. :shock:

Nothing wrong with that,

...unless you own a ferm biscuit jointer that is :lol:

...If you get it from a timber supplier it is not that much dearer than pine....

Most of mine is buckshee, don't come much cheaper :wink:

Latest posts

Back