biscuit joining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
I have occasionally had to join lengths of plank together to make up broader shelves like these. Not like these, cant seem to post a picture.

Anyway, I dont do much of this but I am uncomfortable just clamping and gluing, and figure biscuits would make a better job of it.. Could I cut slots for biscuits using a table mounted router? I may buy a biscuit joiner somewhere along the line. How thin a length of wood can be joined using biscuits?

If picture does not load have a look at www.coolshelving.com to get an idea.

Chunko'

Attachments

• Jute Butcher Hifi Shelves.jpg
    Jute Butcher Hifi Shelves.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 247
You can buy biscuiting bits for a handheld router or use them or a 4mm sloter in the table.

About 8mm would be as thin as you would want to go but there is a risk of the swelling biscuit ghosting through.

Jason

That shelving rings bells......don't I remember a curvaceous young (?) damsel in sprayed-on red wotsits as part of the advert for it? BIG 'must-have' in the early eighties? The system I mean, not the pulcrtitude.....Now, what was its name?

Sam

If you don't have a biscuit jointer and want to use a router, you could cut slots with a straight cutter and insert loose tongues made from something like MDF. This would be just as good as using biscuits.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That is what I am thinking of trying.
Of course a new job has come in that also needs a similar joint.
A set of CDshelves are to be made in two pieces and have to go round a corner, I figure push fitted biscuity things in the ends of the shelves where they are mitred on the corner to ensure that they line up vertically.
I a going to borrow a mate's biscuit joiner to have a play with before shelling out for one.

Chunko'.

Paul Chapman":zyvl1jl1 said:
If you don't have a biscuit jointer and want to use a router, you could cut slots with a straight cutter and insert loose tongues made from something like MDF. This would be just as good as using biscuits.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good idea Paul..
although I prefer suitable thickness ply, as I do for all my slip tenons. I found that some MDF is a bit 'cardboard-ish lately!

Chunkolini...

Hi there. Re buying a biscuit jointer... Don't bother... Save up for a Domino! :lol:

John :)

Back