Biscuit Joiners, reccomendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently borrowed a Dewalt joiner from a mate to do a couple of jobs.
Nice piece of kit. the fact I have borrowed it twice indicates I should buy one.
Are there any cheaper versions worth looking at? I wont even think about Silverline junk.
But how about Clarke, and whats there name, the blue ones in a similar bracket. edit, Draper.
I have considered buying some decent Biscuit cutters to use on my router but I like the idea of a stand alone unit as it seems fairly silly person proof.

Chunko'.

Hi, Chunko'

Don't waste your money on cheap tools! I have a Makita biscuit joiner its excellent, try looking for a second hand one it a new is more than you are willing to pay.

I have a cutter for my router, but it won't do miters or slots in the middle of panels so it dosn't get used much (can't remember the last time)

Pete

I have found the Dewalt the best value for money I have a corded Dewalt and a 18v Dewalt think they have stopped making the 18v one now but i love it. :)

Having had some cheap and not so cheap I now use a router for all my biscuiting. I use a straight cutter in the middle of a panel. I have six routers I dont require any more tools especially ones that self adjust like the cheaper biscuit jointers do. If i didn`t have this many routers I would buy a decent biscuit joiner if I had a need for one.
All the best
Rob

I have the draper one and, given it is only for hobby use, it has done all I have asked of it. Yes, it is a bit of a faff to set up, (I make sure I do a couple of tests on representative scrap to confirm the settings) and the plunge could be smoother and the motor sounds like a 1970's Lada but I think it cost me about £35 new and it is still going strong after 3 years of very light use.

If I was using one professionally I make look to a better brand but for the few times each year I use it I have not problems and am glad of the £100 ish spare to spend on other stuff.

My 2c anyway. HTH,

Simon

I have had a n Elu180 from new. A terrific tool to use. I use it also as a small circular saw. I bought a cheap Aldi biscuit jointer 3 years ago after 3 Silverlines stopped working after their swith broke off. The Aldi model is used at school. Not as well made as the Elu, but it is great, especially at the price. Keep an eye out for one.

greggy":1zefynh3 said:
i have the atlas copco jointer. i think its great.

Absolutely!!

It's actually the forerunner of Milwaukee Tools which are highly recommended!

220820091246.jpg

Built my workbench with that little baby...(yes...bootfair...£25)

280820091290.jpg

And...it comes in a metal case!

Jim

hiya jim, i too got mine from the car boot, but i paid dear for it as it was new in the metal box.

£25.00 also :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

woodbloke":14r149xi said:
Lamello C2 here...great piece of well engineered kit, but as with all Lamello stuff, a bit spendy :( :D - Rob

One thing that has always interested me about that beautiful gear...with the cost approaching that of a Domino...why would one choose the Lamello?

Is there something that a biscuit jointer is better at that a Domino isn't?

Jim

jimi43":ut3u78wp said:
woodbloke":ut3u78wp said:
Lamello C2 here...great piece of well engineered kit, but as with all Lamello stuff, a bit spendy :( :D - Rob

One thing that has always interested me about that beautiful gear...with the cost approaching that of a Domino...why would one choose the Lamello?

Is there something that a biscuit jointer is better at that a Domino isn't?

Jim
SWIMBO treated me to the C2 some years ago, when most things Festooly were just a seed in some German's bonce and of course it's now been superceeded by the C3 and other models. None the less, it's still a really nice piece of kit and a pleasure to use.
The last question though Jim, is likely to tip over another whole bucketful of worms :roll: :lol: My position on the Dom is generally that in a hobbiest or amatteur 'shop, the at most infrequent use simply can't justify the over-inflated price, so that I can't really see the need for one. Whether each machine can replicate or better perform the other's function is a moot and oft debated point. Thus far, in my 'shop, the C2 has done all that I've asked of it, and were a job to come along where the Dom would excel, I'd find another way round the issue. The only time that I've thought of recently where a 4mm dom would be useful in in the construction of thin back panel frames (or doors) in a cabinet where making a m/t joint in thin and narrow timber is a right pita - Rob

Yeh...sorry Rob...I thought when I pressed the "Submit" button...woooops..that's going to start a maroon/green machine debate...and that wasn't my intention.

I have read all there is to know about the "Stools" and I still can't justify one either...though ALL their tools look superb and probably perform even better. I can't wait until they get old and appear in bootfairs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

By that time...I will be in a bathchair and most of them will be in bits! But you never know!

I saw a Lamello at a bootfair last year...bloke wanted a ton for it...I offered him £80 and he wouldn't go for it so out of principle, I walked away. Not sure that was the right move but I haven't found the need to upgrade the Atlas so I guess not. Since I have only used that once...all be it a major project...I guess it is something I might get if I win the lottery....

Thanks for the insight though...they certainly look like nice machines!

Jim

PM sent Chunko...

I use an ELU jointer myself. Slightly different design, and until you get used to it, it can be hairy on the edge of 25mm thick boards. But it can be used flat on the bench too, so I am staying with it until a Domino comes my way.

John

Going off track a bit, do you reckon that this is one of Festool's sister companies (Check the logo font)? It seems this is what they get up to when they're not designing tools. :D

AirJelly on Youtube

They make Aqua and Air penguins as well, god know what else.

Cheers _Dan.

What the hell is an aqua or air penguin?
A kind of swimming or flying biscuit? (staying on topic). A dance?
I have played air guitar, I was once even spotted playing air guitar on my Mig welder, but air penguin? now thats just plain odd.

Chunko'.

AirPenguin: Tape feet together with Duct tape, then proceed to slide on belly around the workshop floor (after a liberal covering of MDF dust), all the time remembering to steer well before the actual corner in a rallyesque stylee.

Hi I have a bosch biscuit jointer its the best by far! i have had dewalt makita which are good but bosch wins the only machine I keep under my pillow of a night is my beloved lamello top 20 wow now that is a piece of kit!

Back