• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Birthday Wishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
While reading the posts about router tables, fences and router lifts etc, it gave me an idea of what present i could give my sister on her birthday in March.
She has been dabbling with wood as a hobby for a number of years now and the router table she made about 5 years ago really needs replacing so i thought that i would build or buy her one.

Since i became my own boss last year she has really worked her fingers to the bone when i have needed an extra pair of hands, and yet she would not take a penny for all her hard work. So i want to give her a router table that is very special with all the bells and whistles on it.

This is where i need your help and advice. If you wanted to give yourself or someone else the best what would you put on it? Do i build a Norm clone or buy a top rate one?

Regards

Woody
Do i fill it with Incra, Jessems, Woodpeckers, a mixture of all 3 or another manufacturers parts.
Until you look about you really do not realise how much router products there are. Look at Jessems for instance they have the:

Rout R Lift, Mast R Lift, Mast R Top, Mast R Fence, Mast R Plate, Mast R Lift XL, and Rout R Tables to name just a few, and it seems Incra and Woodpeckers have more then these.

She uses her router table a great deal so i want to give her one that will allow her to do most things, and precision routing is a must.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd build Norm's basic table and fit it with Pat Warner's fence...

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Woody
I have no hesitation in recommending Norm's basic table. It's well designed good storage, easy access.

I made a few changes. I had the dust extraction out of the side not the back, so the table can be pushed against the wall without bashing the pipework. Norm's fence is a bit basic, so I made it micro-ajustable - see last month's GW. I know that plenty of guys sing the praises of the Incra.

I also put it on locking wheels and built a horizontal mortiser into the left-hand side, the one from Bill Hylton's book, Router Magic. I don't use it often, but when I do need it...

Finally, fit the Xtreme Xtension and Router Raizer from Woodworker's Workshop. Yes they are expensive. Yes they excellent. Yes they are worth every penny.

A table like this is going to cost you a pretty penny, but it's a nice project to make, if you have good sheet-handling facilities, and it will last a lifetime. And it sounds like your sister is worth it.

HTH
Steve

A

Anonymous

HI Woody

I just built Norm's table with an Incra fence and a Triton router in it (review soon) and I don't think you'll find a better combination. Router lifts are good but when you consider the cost of one + a router, then the Triton makes good sense as it has both course and fine height adjustment and the collet comes right up out of the table and locks solid for one-handed bit changes :D

Big John

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the Jessem system with the lift and mitre fence. It's very good quality and the lift adustment is spot on. Not cheap though!!

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. I think that i need to go to a few dealers and try some of these options out.

Tony, even after seeing the Triton and its adjustments mentioned by others in the past (including yourself), i have never really taken a good look at it, but after reading about it on their web site i am going to give it serious consideration, because from what i see it has most of what she would need.
The only real problem is that she has 3 routers already so at £200+ it will not be any cheaper then one of the lifts.

Once again thanks, and keep the idea's coming.

Regards

Woody

A

Anonymous

woody

I will post a review of Triton this week which may (or may not :wink: ) help

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Just fitted the UniLift from woodpeckers.
Beautifully made high quality and VERY accurate.
Delighted with it in a Normesque (his blue period!) router table.
Martin