Birthday pressie.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Dave, I tried something new to me on this. I use friction polish on the lathe but it says on the container that it can be used off the lathe so gave it a try. Applied with a cloth then buffed up as hard as I could. Gave it a coat of Black Bison wax and it came up a treat. Time will tell how it stands up to handling.

John

Thanks for the info, I have never used friction finish, but I do like wax as a top coat on stuff as it is easy to restore with another wipe on and a brush off. :D

John, lovely box. Pear eh? Cool.
cool.gif
Is the lid hinged, fitted over a rebate, or..? I speak as one who avoids fitting hinges like the plague
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Very nice present John. I made a similar box a while back and wondered how you cut the slots for the reinforcers? (I used a jig (surprised??) on a router table)

The lady was very happy with her present and I drank far too much red wine which I am regretting now and feel like this bloke is inside my head (hammer) . Good evening though.

Chris, nothing inside it except the necklace that some other friends had bought her.

Alf, the box was made in one piece and the lid seperated on the table saw (the crown guard is permenantly removed on my saw, I feel safer seeing the blade rather than covering it. Still got all my fingers so far :) ) The lid is retained by mahogany inserts glued to the short sides. I know what you mean about hinges, very tricky to get the lid to line up exactly.

Tx, Wakering is just down the road, supposed to be the driest place in England, don't know if that is true though.

Tony, I cut the slots using a jig on the table saw (no crown guard as I said earlier). Just a simple sled with 45 deg angled blocks to support the box while pushing it over the blade while holding it against the fence.

Thanks for all the comments.

John

Latest posts

Back