Birdseye Maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience on working with Birdseye Maple?

How easy is it to hand plane?
Will it fade in the sunlight?
What would be the best finish?

I have the dreaded washing machine and tumble dryer in the conservatory and the intent is to box them in and make it look like a peice of furniture. The construction will be mainly panels with maple inlays to form the carcas and the same for the doors. The top will be of maple (not birdseye) probably 1 1/2" thick.

It looks such a nice wood and I think the two contrast will look alright together, but as usual I'm open to suggestion from the forum.

I have to get this one right because its soo expensive.

Thanks

Waka

I've used bird's-eye maple. It's mostly used for guitar necks.
The best way to thickness it is with a big sander. This is due to the propensity of the 'bird's eyes' to tear out in a planer. Maybe a hand plane would be ok, but if one does come out then you will have to go down another couple of millimetres at least to get a clean face.
The trouble and expense involved would suggest that you should only use it if you particularly like the effect.
John

Hi Waka

Steve Maskerey is the only person I can remember using Birds Eye maple.

He might just see this thread before going on holiday.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Waka

Bird's-eye maple is particularly easy to work as a veneer and is quite affordable as such. Perhaps it's worth considering this option?

Yours

Gill

Jeff

Kitchen's already finished, see previous thread in General under My biggest project to date.

Gill, not really worked with Vennered much although it ceertainly is an option. having said that the panelled doors would still have to be in hardwood.

I thought about the birdseye because it shows off such a lovely texture and i think would go well with the AW oak floor (yet to go down).

But if it's going to be difficult I might just have to resign myself to using bog standard maple.

Anyway thanks for your comments.

Waka

Waka

Hi Waka
I've used curly and birds eye maple a bit. They can be a pain to plane up-depends on the piece I find. The wood is REALLY hard, and the eyes tend to tear out. So get sharpening before you plane. My low angle jack, the L-N 62, loves this stuff and works a treat-but can I really suggest that after your recently publicised hand tool splurge? :lol:
You can always fall back on the random orbit sander though!
cheers,
Philly :D

Ummm

Will HID's notice if I take the money from housekeeping. I'll put in on the list, I've got a birthday coming up later in the year.

Waka

Latest posts

Back